Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

LEO vs. Velocity???

by jpdurbin » Tue May 08, 2007 7:15 pm

A friend of mine told me he was having a hard time finding a LEO in the southwest end of town. According to what was told to him, Velocity will not distribute their magazine if LEO is distributed in the same place.

Has anyone else heard of this going on?
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: LEO vs. Velocity???

by Robin Garr » Tue May 08, 2007 9:53 pm

jpdurbin wrote:A friend of mine told me he was having a hard time finding a LEO in the southwest end of town. According to what was told to him, Velocity will not distribute their magazine if LEO is distributed in the same place.

As a contributor to LEO, my initial question would be why anyone would WANT to support the Gannett empire.

But more seriously, I would just love it if your friend could lead me back to a vendor or two who'd be willing to testify to that. Such behavior would be marginally illegal, and at a minimum would embarrass the heck out of Gannett if it went public. That's A Good Thing.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue May 08, 2007 11:02 pm

jpdurbin wrote:A friend of mine told me he was having a hard time finding a LEO in the southwest end of town. According to what was told to him, Velocity will not distribute their magazine if LEO is distributed in the same place.

I don't know if this is true, but I have noticed that in several places (the downtown Y for instance), Leo used to be there and once Velocity showed up, Leo was gone.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Tue May 08, 2007 11:41 pm

Charles W. wrote:

I don't know if this is true, but I have noticed that in several places (the downtown Y for instance), Leo used to be there and once Velocity showed up, Leo was gone.

I don't intend to be a contrarian, but I have noticed at least one occasion where there was Velocity and no LEO, and now there are 2 boxes full of LEO. 5th and Main would be the location. I go by there every day, so I know this to be a fact.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Tue May 08, 2007 11:49 pm

I'm not really sure why anyone reads Velocity anyway, but that is another matter entirely. When I get my LEO, there is always a stack of Velocity right next to them. Usually a much larger stack, because fewer are being taken.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Who reads Velocity.

by Doogy R » Wed May 09, 2007 12:17 am

Amy Hoover wrote:I'm not really sure why anyone reads Velocity anyway, but that is another matter entirely. When I get my LEO, there is always a stack of Velocity right next to them. Usually a much larger stack, because fewer are being taken.

I read Velocity. I happen to have an addiction to reading. I get my hands on anything I can read. Every once in a while there's something in there worthwhile to read. It's like most things in life, choice.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Wed May 09, 2007 5:09 am

I live in the Fern Creek area. I usually pick up the LEO and Velocity at the Fern Creek library or the liquor store in the same shopping center. They have both.
no avatar
User

Barb T.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm

South End

by Barb T. » Wed May 09, 2007 5:41 am

Did you say the southwest end of town? This part of town is so conservative...well, LEO is not likely to be well received out here. I hate that because I have to head downtown or to the East End to get my LEO.
I don't know about Velocity, tho, or the situation you described. :roll:
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Wed May 09, 2007 6:22 am

My experience was this:

Before I opened DCE I called both Leo & Velocity.
Velocity delivered a box to me the next day (being massively coporate they have a lot of boxes on hand) Leo didn't have any spares and so it was two months before they finaly delivered one.

Now we have both plus a Butler serving up Boom Louisville magazine.

Oh and I read them both. One is like the NY Times and the other the NY Post.

I also used to think my right hand was uglier than my left hand.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed May 09, 2007 7:29 am

I don't understand Velocity. I picked it up once to read during lunch, but I couldn't find any articles. There were several paragraph-long blurbs, usually aimed at teenagers, but nary a full length article in the entire paper. That surprised me because it was so much thicker than a LEO. I quickly realized that it was just full of ads. It's not that Velocity is bad, it's just that there is nothing there.
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Wed May 09, 2007 3:24 pm

ADs and entertainment listings...
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed May 09, 2007 5:51 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:I don't understand Velocity. I picked it up once to read during lunch, but I couldn't find any articles. There were several paragraph-long blurbs, usually aimed at teenagers, but nary a full length article in the entire paper. That surprised me because it was so much thicker than a LEO. I quickly realized that it was just full of ads. It's not that Velocity is bad, it's just that there is nothing there.

I always say when I look at Velocity that it reminds me of my age ... I understand virtually nothing in the thing and also miss paragraphs of more than twelve words.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Thu May 10, 2007 2:00 am

LEO for genuine reading...

Velocity for the occasional interesting blurb or anecdote.

if i had to choose one or the other... LEO any day.

and if you truly look, Velocity has to be seriously more than 50% ads.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Thu May 10, 2007 7:05 am

Most newspapers are feeling the pinch of todays youth not being big readers. They tend to be on line, radio, or tv enthusiasts. Velocity is trying hard to court these folks back to print with the equivalent of visual 'sound bites'. Copy is abbreviated to be consumed in quick glances. My personal opinion is that this is a a big mistake. Those people will never be readers and Velocity finds itself actually competing with TV or the internet.
LEO, I think, knows it's demographics are READERS and works to keep those readers by continuing to supply them with meatier and more in depth material because that's what a real reader wants to read.
Let me make it clear, I'm not insulting those of you that like to read Velocity. I'm only saying that you are most likely to use radio/tv or the internet as your primary source of information and print as a distant 4th whereas LEO readers are more likely to use newspapers or some form of print as their main source of information. It's just a matter of taste, not an intelligence evaluation.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 10, 2007 8:01 am

carla griffin wrote:It's just a matter of taste, not an intelligence evaluation.

I'm sure you're right, but it's sure tempting to read that into it. I think a lot of us readers worry a little about a generation that can't (or won't) read ...
Next