Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

Leo

by James Paul » Fri May 11, 2007 2:10 am

I am wondering if Chuck Shepards "News Of the Weird" still appears in the LEO. I used to enjoy it and the LEO articles.

Velocity used to make good tender for the wood stove.
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Leo

by Ethan Ray » Fri May 11, 2007 3:42 am

James Paul wrote:I am wondering if Chuck Shepards "News Of the Weird" still appears in the LEO.

It does.

I once saw a guy i went to high school with made 'least competent criminals' once some time ago.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sat May 12, 2007 8:37 am

Perfect case in point is this weeks LEO. Great article, if heartbreaking, on Dafur and its problems. You'll never see anything like that in Velocity.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

papers

by Sonja W » Sat May 12, 2007 6:48 pm

I occasionally go to restaurants in J-town because of work.

Mike's Feed Store and Backyard Burger carry neither Leo nor Velocity. They do, however, carry the Southeast Christian rag.

I considered questioning the managers about this, but lacked context information about how these papers are distributed. If somebody can provide it, I would like to make a polite point about this next time around.
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Impellizzeri's Pizza

by Wes P » Sat May 12, 2007 7:09 pm

We took over the old Alameada site and they had both Velocity and Leo there.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: papers

by Robin Garr » Sat May 12, 2007 8:48 pm

Sonja W wrote:I occasionally go to restaurants in J-town because of work.

Mike's Feed Store and Backyard Burger carry neither Leo nor Velocity. They do, however, carry the Southeast Christian rag.

I considered questioning the managers about this, but lacked context information about how these papers are distributed. If somebody can provide it, I would like to make a polite point about this next time around.

There was some kind of related controversy a while back involving Kroger. I don't remember the details, but it had to do with Six Flags Over Jesus, er, I mean Southeast Christian, unsuccessfully demanding that Kroger carry their newspaper but somehow persuading Kroger to stop carrying LEO if it wouldn't take their publication.

Frankly, when I see the Southeast Christian paper (or its Spanish version) in a restaurant, it puts me off. I won't say it influences my review, but it doesn't give me a good feeling about management.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Sun May 13, 2007 11:35 pm

Southeast Christian is scary on that front because they threaten any business that wont carry their paper with an unofficial boycott. They dont tell their parishioners not to go there but they make sure to tell them that said establishment refused to carry it. So you can imagine the position a lot of small business owners are put in because of this. If I know a business stood up to them it makes me want to support them more, but at the same time I can totally understand the ones who wont take the gamble.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Mon May 14, 2007 6:54 am

I was told by a restaurant owner that he was berated by a SEC member for having LEOs in the restaurant because she didn't want her children reading it. For some reason she felt it was his and the public's responsibility to monitor her child's reading material and not her own. The owner pulled the LEOs fearing retribution by way of one of their 'unannounced' boycotts.
If what he tells me is so, and I have no reason to doubt him, then in my opinion that makes SEC rather thuggish.
Robin- are you ready for what THIS thread will generate?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 14, 2007 7:05 am

carla griffin wrote:Robin- are you ready for what THIS thread will generate?

Bring it on! :)
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon May 14, 2007 5:32 pm

LEO or Velocity: What Would Jesus Read?

(note to self: SEC members will not go where LEO is present. good to know)
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Fri May 18, 2007 6:21 pm

LEO at least used to be good for its unintentional comedy, but with yarmuth's and Ivin's departure, it's kinda dull, save for the occasional article on 8664. News of the Weird is the main reason I pick one up.

Velocity, on the other hand, is what I prefer. Reading it at a restaurant (usually) is handy, as I can quickly read a page and then get back to reading before I take some more bites. I also love their short descriptions of movies. Plus, it has a Sudoku. Although they lack credibility (like anything in the first 20 pages of LEO), the online poll and Winners or Losers can occasionally prove interesting (twice calling McConnell a loser when he arguably proved to be the most powerful man in the United States nuke's one's credibility).
Have you hugged your penguin today?
Previous