Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

About this "cruising" controversy ...

by Robin Garr » Wed May 02, 2007 5:29 pm

Am I the only one who thinks the cruising community could put a really quick end to this talk about restrictions on West Broadway if they simply announced plans to cruise out Bardstown Road and then over through Hurstbourne to Prospect instead?
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Wed May 02, 2007 7:36 pm

I thought there was a plan to cruise in Lake Forrest - Chief White's neighborhood! :D

In my opinion, as a responder in that area for many years, the problem would not be what it is if they would actually CRUISE. The stopped cars, hundreds of pedestrians, the multitude of illegal acts caused a complete mess. They used to keep it on one side only-one way, but the neighborhoods complained about the cars on the side streets attempting to get back again. Then the cops were tough, arresting a lot of people and they were sued. Then they tried being lenient and the businesses and citizens complained about the crime. The amount of manpower and $$$ spent there was getting out of hand in a no win situation. There was the year they put a Chow Wagon in Shawnee Park and the vendors went broke because no one bought their goods.

Like Atlanta's Freaknic, this should be stopped, maybe to be replaced by a more controlled event at a later date.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed May 02, 2007 10:27 pm

Echoing Suzi's point: Your house catches fire. Your 10 month old and 3 year old are inside. The fire companies cannot plow through parked cars. Response is delayed and tragedy occurs. If you could keep the traffic moving then cruise away. But it doesn't move and neither can emergency services. So whatever argument is proposed or court directive implemented means nothing if we can't get to you when you need us. Metro Louisville needed Suzi 96000+ times last year and in the Urban Service District (the old city limits) you needed me 47,000+ times. Those are the actual run volumes just for EMS and Fire in 2006. I don't want to even think what LMPD's volume was.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu May 03, 2007 4:47 pm

Taking one of my famous "shortcuts" home from the track one year after Derby caused me to get caught up in the cruising traffic one year. It was unreal. No movement for hours.
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Fri May 04, 2007 10:29 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Taking one of my famous "shortcuts" home from the track one year after Derby caused me to get caught up in the cruising traffic one year. It was unreal. No movement for hours.

Did you get yo' freak on?
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Fri May 04, 2007 11:26 am

There's the now infamous YouTube video calling all to join the young gentlemen to cruise "yoru neighborhoods." Specifically mentioned were Jtown, Hurstbourne and fern Creek. Teh call to cruise Lake Forest has been circulating onthe internet and thru flyers for almost a week. Saturday night might get really interesting.

The "spontaneous" party at 3rd and Central by the Infield Gate was shut done years ago. There are rolling barricades for the mini and Marathons. Side street plus Boardway get shut down for the parade. Residents must have an access pass to get into the alleys to access their own residences' parking lots for St. James Art Show. Access passes, barricades, shutdowns, etc happen all the time in lots of areas of town to facilitate the common good.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 04, 2007 12:20 pm

Leah s wrote:The "spontaneous" party at 3rd and Central by the Infield Gate was shut down years ago.

I covered that party for The Louisville Times back in the day. Through the late '70s, it was a mellow party and really fun to attend and cover. Great food, too ... a lot of folks in the then blue-collar neighborhoods just north of the Downs would set out Weber grills and sell barbecue. I guess the Health Department didn't even try to control it. ;)

It started to get a little rough in the '80s, but it wasn't a racial thing so much as drunk college kids, who also discovered the Infield in that era and changed its nature forever.

There are rolling barricades for the mini and Marathons. Side street plus Boardway get shut down for the parade. Residents must have an access pass to get into the alleys to access their own residences' parking lots for St. James Art Show. Access passes, barricades, shutdowns, etc happen all the time in lots of areas of town to facilitate the common good.

Consistent with my position in the "Queen Security" thread, I understand the broad need for this but am not fully on board with its implementation. There's an increasing police state mentality, particularly since 9/11, when people expect to be protected from everything, and we're a little too unskeptical about accepting whatever the police and "security experts" tell us is necessary, in my opinion. I don't think it's good to let the police set up these intrusive and almost militaristic "protections" without close scrutiny from both elected officials and the public to keep them from going overboard.

Sometimes, frankly, it's better to assume some risks in life - #### happens sometimes - and call a cop if there's a problem rather than throwing up a wall of blue, treating <i>everyone</i> as a potential criminal, to guard against a limited risk from a small number of people.

Rant over ...