Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Victorian pressed tin

User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:44 am

Victorian pressed tin

by NicoleP » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:16 pm

along with the other house questions...

our 150 year old Victorian has had the decorative pressed tin that topped the turret blown down due to good ol' Kentucky storms...Anyone know an ironworker or possible a person who works in pressed tin reproductions?? our insurance company is getting impatient:) outside of Kentucky is fine ....we cannot find ANYONE to do it...
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Victorian pressed tin

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:20 pm

NicoleP wrote:along with the other house questions...

our 150 year old Victorian has had the decorative pressed tin that topped the turret blown down due to good ol' Kentucky storms...Anyone know an ironworker or possible a person who works in pressed tin reproductions?? our insurance company is getting impatient:) outside of Kentucky is fine ....we cannot find ANYONE to do it...

Just taking a stab here, but maybe the folks at Kaviar Forge (near North End Cafe on lower Frankfort) would have some leads for you? They work metal, so it seems like they'd be networked with the kind of trades person you need.
User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

by NicoleP » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:36 pm

yeah I emailed them when it first happened but got no response, I should have called though.

Maybe I will trudge over there with a chunk of the pressed tin itself. At this point, I would be happy with some ironwork that is the same size as the tin that blew down...the turret seems naked without it!
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:29 pm

Last edited by Jay M. on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:36 am

Louis Meyer at Fred Hutt Blacksmith definitely does decorative ironwork. His shop is at 7th and Ormbsy-ish. If you're driving north on 7th from my house you pass the shop. He does great work.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:42 am

Leah s wrote:Louis Meyer at Fred Hutt Blacksmith definitely does decorative ironwork. His shop is at 7th and Ormbsy-ish.

Good suggestion! Farther north, though, I believe. Isn't Hutt's on the northeast corner of 7th and Breckinridge?
User

NicoleP

{ RANK }

Foodie

by NicoleP » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:15 am

I love Lewis's work, his Baba Yaga candlesticks are absolutely fantastic, he a good friend of 2 of my good friends so I have already been to him as well:) He contemplated making a fiberglass reproduction of the cresting but has been so busy he hasn't gotten to it for about a year. He still has a chunk of the cresting actually that we brought him.The hurry with this is due to our insurance company pressing us to get it done so they can pay out the claim, gotta love insurance companies, especially ones who don't understand this kind of thing isn't something you can get done just anywhere...