Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Anybody seen the new dollar coin?

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:15 am

I just got one in a survey form from Eclipse Bank (one of those little gifts intended to make us feel guilty if we don't respond), and boy, is it ever cheap looking. A little larger than a quarter, thin and lightweight, it appears to be made from aluminum. Comparing it to a 1 Euro coin, it just doesn't have the heft of real money.

Ever since the demise of the old silver dollar in our parents' generation, the dollar coin has been a hard sell in the US, but as I understand it, the government could save a lot of money if they could shift us over to a coin. (In Europe, for what it's worth, the smallest paper denomination is 5€, but there are 1€ and 2€ coins, and everyone seems happy with 'em.)

How about you? Would you object to losing the paper dollar in favor of a coin ... and would the look and feel of the coin matter to you?
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Anybody seen the new dollar coin?

by Doogy R » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:15 pm

I am a numismatist and am quite unhappy with the new dollar coin. I do, however, believe we should get rid of the 1 cent coin, the 1 dollar bill, add the dollar coin (one that is much better than the presidential series) and also get the 2 dollar bill to circulate more.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Anybody seen the new dollar coin?

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:56 pm

Doogy R wrote:I am a numismatist and am quite unhappy with the new dollar coin. I do, however, believe we should get rid of the 1 cent coin, the 1 dollar bill, add the dollar coin (one that is much better than the presidential series) and also get the 2 dollar bill to circulate more.

The new coin seems strange in a lot of ways ... the lettering around the edge that just looks like tiny dots, the cheap, lightweight aluminum feel of it, and - from the drawings on the US Mint website, really bad drawings of the first four presidents.

I'm also puzzled that everything online indicates that these coins are "golden" like the Sacajawea dollar, but the one Eclipse sent me is silver/shiny aluminum color. Until I find out that they've changed the production, I'm hanging on to this 'un in case it's a rarity. ;)
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:02 pm

I found it odd toting the equivalant of $20 in my pocket with the GBP coins. I could get used to it here after awhile but they would need some heft to them to differentiate by feel.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:16 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:I found it odd toting the equivalant of $20 in my pocket with the GBP coins. I could get used to it here after awhile but they would need some heft to them to differentiate by feel.

I find Euro bills and coins much more intuitive than dollars ... when I get back to the US, I really resent it that we don't have enough sense to make our bills different sizes and colors so we can tell them apart. The Euro coins have a good heavy feel, too, and there are enough differences that you'd never mistake a 1€ for a 20 Euro Cent coin.

The Brits don't use Euros, though, do they? They still seem to be kind of in the EU but with their fingers crossed. ;)
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Doogy R wrote:I am a numismatist and am quite unhappy with the new dollar coin. I do, however, believe we should get rid of the 1 cent coin, the 1 dollar bill, add the dollar coin (one that is much better than the presidential series) and also get the 2 dollar bill to circulate more.

The new coin seems strange in a lot of ways ... the lettering around the edge that just looks like tiny dots, the cheap, lightweight aluminum feel of it, and - from the drawings on the US Mint website, really bad drawings of the first four presidents.

I'm also puzzled that everything online indicates that these coins are "golden" like the Sacajawea dollar, but the one Eclipse sent me is silver/shiny aluminum color. Until I find out that they've changed the production, I'm hanging on to this 'un in case it's a rarity. ;)

Is there any way for you to post a pic of the coin you're mentioning here? I have to agree the Washington example of the presidential coins series is horrible, but it should have a definite golden color to it. If you've ever seen the Sacagawea dollar coin, it should look like that. They are supposed to be made of the same metallic alloy. Some error coins in the presidential series have arisen, but be aware some of them are fakes.

Just in case anyone is reading this post and doesn't know about the new dollar coins, here is a link to the U. S. Mint site. http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/index.cfm
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:09 pm

Doogy R wrote:Is there any way for you to post a pic of the coin you're mentioning here? I have to agree the Washington example of the presidential coins series is horrible, but it should have a definite golden color to it. If you've ever seen the Sacagawea dollar coin, it should look like that. They are supposed to be made of the same metallic alloy. Some error coins in the presidential series have arisen, but be aware some of them are fakes.

Of course! I'll shoot a digital photo of it tomorrow by daylight and post it. It's definitely aluminum/silver, though, not "golden." If it's a fake, the folks at Eclipse Bank are going to be looking pretty embarrassed, since they sent it out to me!
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:29 pm

I wish the UK were on the Euro as the GBP is still holding its value quite well making for some sticker shock on prices. Big story over there was the Scottish National Party lead in the pre-election polls. Voting due in early May and it may be an independent Scotland in the future. I'm not holding my breath but the current view has them looking at Ireland and how well they have integrated in the EU including embracing the Euro. "If the bloody Irish can do it then we can do it better" was a common refrain. :lol:
no avatar
User

Barb T.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm

South End

by Barb T. » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:42 am

Uh uh. I worked in a Holiday Inn when the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin was created by our gov't. It just didn't work. Folks didn't want to carry around a bunch of quarter sized coins. Guys in particular didn't like them.
Can you imagine what it's like to have someone give you your change from a $10 or $20 bill in 9 dollar coins? It could surely happen. It appears the current gov't is trying to avoid some of the complaints about the Susan B. Anthony in the new dollar coins, i.e. the light aluminum feel.
If the U.S. can't afford to print its own currency, we might need to take a look at where our taxes are going.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:59 am

Barb T. wrote:If the U.S. can't afford to print its own currency, we might need to take a look at where our taxes are going.

The fallacy there, Barb, is that the US is about the only first world country left that uses paper currency for units as small as a dollar. The Euro, the British pound, the Canadian, Australian and New Zealand dollars and the Japanese 100 yen all use coins for the $1 and $2 equivalent. Paper money starts only with the $5. I travel in Europe a fair amount, and I can't say I miss the 1 Euro bill at all.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:45 am

Hey we still make pennies and they cost 1.5 cents to make.... :D :D
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:43 pm

I've got about $30 worth of the "old" $1 coin in my car. If you visit Actors Theatre's parking garage prior to the evening parking attendants arriving, but after the daytime guys/gals leave, you have to use an automated attendant = I think it's about $3 to park. But, if you don't have correct change and enter a $20, you get all dollar coins back. More than one board member has raised he** about it in recent years!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:45 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Barb T. wrote:If the U.S. can't afford to print its own currency, we might need to take a look at where our taxes are going.

The fallacy there, Barb, is that the US is about the only first world country left that uses paper currency for units as small as a dollar. The Euro, the British pound, the Canadian, Australian and New Zealand dollars and the Japanese 100 yen all use coins for the $1 and $2 equivalent. Paper money starts only with the $5. I travel in Europe a fair amount, and I can't say I miss the 1 Euro bill at all.

Amen, Robin. I don't know why we can't follow the Europeans on this one issue. There was also a great deal of discussion in the national press recently about how difficult it is for the sight-impaired to figure out what US currency to use. WHAS radio did a long call in show about it, and Joe (forget his last name - the evening host) talked about his experiences with US currency. My impression is that we are going to move in that direction for this reason alone (not Joe, of course, but the overall problem).
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Of course! I'll shoot a digital photo of it tomorrow by daylight and post it. It's definitely aluminum/silver, though, not "golden." If it's a fake, the folks at Eclipse Bank are going to be looking pretty embarrassed, since they sent it out to me!

Robin, have you taken that pic yet? I am quite curious to see your coin. It is possible the bank sent out a fake as a promo. I remember banks doing that back in the 60's. Oops, i just told that I am an old fart. LMAO.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:34 pm

Doogy R wrote:Robin, have you taken that pic yet? I am quite curious to see your coin. It is possible the bank sent out a fake as a promo.

Not yet ... I've got the project cued up, but was waiting for sunlight ... to get the most accurate color, I'm looking for a sunny day.

That being said, however, on very close inspection I think it is in fact "golden." When I first looked at it it seemed to be aluminum color, but when I put it down next to a quarter it does have a very light golden hue.

And I really and truly do not think Eclipse Bank sent out a replica. In the first place, the accompanying material says it's a real dollar. Second, I don't think the Treasury Department makes an exception for promotions when it criminalizes counterfeiting, i.e., the production of an exact replica of U.S. currency. ;)

I think I was just expecting a more GOLD "golden."

I'll still take and post a pic, if the sun ever comes out again.
Next