Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

horse communities

no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

horse communities

by C. Devlin » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:09 pm

When we lived in Chicago, we witnessed the development of a handful of new housing communities out in the northern suburbs that catered to horse people. A central barn with pasture, riding trails. Are there any communities like that in this area?
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: horse communities

by TP Lowe » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:53 pm

C. Devlin wrote:When we lived in Chicago, we witnessed the development of a handful of new housing communities out in the northern suburbs that catered to horse people. A central barn with pasture, riding trails. Are there any communities like that in this area?

This is not exactly what you are looking for, but close. I live in Majestic Oaks in Shelby County, which is about 450 acres with about 35 homes. There are many miles of public riding trails and public fishing lakes (or ponds, depending on your definition!). About half of the neighborhood owns horses, although they do own their own barns. Each lot is at least five acres. There are currently three houses for sale and two or three large lots (one ten acres, one larger that is really beautiful). I think you could do a MLS search and find some picture of the neighborhood. If not, and you'd like to see some pics, shoot me your email and I'll send you a few so you can get the flavor.

Probably more than you wanted to know!
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:34 pm

Thanks for the response. It sounds lovely, but you're right in thinking it's not what we're looking for. We currently have some acreage and a barn and are near a forest with trails (you're probably wondering why I asked the question in the first place). And really it's pretty much ideal. Not to mention we love our house and our property and the area. My husband, though, has been considering a few years down the road when we might find it easier to live in a more dedicated horse community with a central barn for the community and somebody else to take on more of the horse care. So we're sort of scouting for places in the area that might work in that way.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:18 am

It sounds like we are in similar neighborhoods/areas.
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

Horse Communities

by Lori R. » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:28 pm

When we moved to Louisville in 2000 I was looking for the exact thing you are describing. The only place I found that is similar to your description is a subdivision in Oldham County off Hwy 42 called "Old Taylor Place". There is a small community barn, but I cannot remember if there are riding trails nearby. Unfortunately it was a sellers market at that time and no houses for sale....and if there was it was literally sold before we could even get out there to look at it!
no avatar
User

Leslie Ellis

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:27 am

by Leslie Ellis » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:12 am

There is a new development just starting in Oldham County (way out Ky. 22, about 10 minutes from LaGrange, called Ballard Glen. Developer is Mike Jones of Jordan River Development (http://www.jordanriverdevelopment.com) The original plan included a horse barn, plus large lots and riding trails and lots of open space. I don't know what the plan was for taking care of the horses.

You also might contact a realtor in Oldham about the L'Esprit area outside of LaGrange. It's full of stables and lots of nice homes on large lots. You could board your horses at one of the stables and live nearby and use the area's riding trails. It's a very, very horsey community. Very upscale.
no avatar
User

Holly C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:53 am

by Holly C » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:22 am

I saw an ad in today's C-J for something called "Equestrian Lakes." Sounds maybe like something you're talking about. equestrianlakes.com. It was in the "Kentuckiana Living" insert, page J11.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:42 pm

Thanks for the latest leads. We'll have to drive around to those places and take a look. There's a new place going in fairly close to us as well, but the stable facilities look really small to me. It's compelling because the development sits right on Clark Forest, with trails right out the back door, and there's one lot available abutting the stable grounds. What I don't want is to board my horses off my property. It's too expensive, for one thing, and I've grown used to being able to look out my window and see my horses and to be with them any time I want by just walking out the door. And I love my house. So I imagine this is going to turn into one of those ongoing "what if we..." conversations for the forseeable future without any real movement toward changing anything. Or at least I hope so. Still, it would be nice to see what's available around the area.