Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Dance Studios

no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Dance Studios

by Leah S » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:14 am

I'm looking for recs on a dance studio. I am not interested in a franchise operation. Whatcha got?
no avatar
User

amy lyons

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Highlands

Re: Dance Studios

by amy lyons » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:24 am

Really depends on the age of the child, but I would recommend both the Louisville Ballet School and University of Louisville School of Dance. Louisville Ballet School holds classes for younger children in St. Matthews at the old Sears building location. The teachers are very well trained and are very kind, both are important when dealing with children. U of L classes are held in the basement of the school of music on campus. They too are well trained and very kind. What I see that sets these 2 schools apart from others is that if your child truly loves ballet they will guide them gentle through that very difficult art form and make certain that they don't leap too quickly into pointe work - that is a problem with many smaller studios.

My daughter, who is now 25, attended both schools. Starting out at U of L and switching to Louisville Ballet when she was 13 years old so she could study with a professional company. They both continue to be great dance schools.

Amy
"All I ask of food is that it doesn't harm me."
Michael Palin
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:31 am

Leah s wrote:I'm looking for recs on a dance studio. I am not interested in a franchise operation. Whatcha got?

This link may prove to be helpful.

http://www.velocityweekly.com/apps/pbcs ... /803120726
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:35 pm

Leah, did you want a studio for a child or for an adult?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:27 pm

I was gong to ask the same question. Depending on whether it's for you or a child and what type of dance you're wanting lessons for, I could give you some recommendations. Gary and I dance, and we've taken lessons from several folks in Louisville. So if it's social/ballroom what have you, I could recommend somebody.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:11 pm

Sorry. Adult, ballroom. You know, Dancing With the Stars stuff.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:09 pm

Three places in particular I'd recommend.... And there are plenty more in Louisville and the surrounding area, and we've had lessons at some, and I'm sure there are more who're plenty good, but anyway....

One place who has a nice big studio, lots of group lessons, dance parties and competitions and the like: All That Dance Studio. Viktoria and Jani are very good, and they have a good operation with plenty of opportunities to learn and to dance. The only caveat I'd add is that we had a misunderstanding about billing, and it got sort of goofy. Part of it was a simple misunderstanding, but I wasn't happy with the way the studio behaved when we tried to resolve it. So, there's that (and if you mention us in particular, there's a good chance you'll get a whole nother version of that). Anyway, here's the link to their website: http://www.allthatdancelouisville.com/.

Frankly another reason we decided to go elsewhere is that the folks we originally wanted to study with who do a fabulous West Coast Swing took part of the operation to Lexington, and WCS isn't exactly Victoria and Jani's area of specialty.

Another, Shall We Dance Ballroom and Studio, in Louisville and in southern Indiana. Brandon Thompson and Kimberly Hassman both dance professionally, and though I've never taken lessons with them, I've seen them in classes: http://www.shallwedanceky.com/

And the last, Dance Discoveries where we've just started taking lessons with Cherie Lanier. She teaches at Dance Louisville as well, but we're taking lessons with her at Dance Discoveries on LaGrange Road, 502-487-0621. We were looking for another teacher, and just happened on her one night at the Felice salsa night months ago. She did a knockout cha cha demo with her partner, and so we approached her there.

One of the issues for us was that we wanted to find someone with a real emphasis on social dancing, not so much folks who really concentrate on the traditional sort of very formal approach to ballroom which usually means you're learning performance dancing rather than social dancing. The dances are the same except for stying. The ballroom tends to be pretty showy, whereas the social form is more for club dancing which is what we want. No flailing arms (the dramatic extensions and the like). More the sort of dancing you can feel comfortable doing in an actual club. Cherie is particularly good at that, and her field is the Latin dances. It's understated, at least compared to the more formal, performance ballroom dancing, but it's absolutely gorgeous and fluid. She's also a sweet heart.

Um, one to avoid, I think, anyway, is Blairs Ballroom. The folks were nice, but the quality of teaching wasn't quite up to par, it seemed to us (and to some other folks we know as well).

And here's a link to links:
http://www.louisvilleballroom.org/
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:17 pm

Leah, did you find anything you like?