Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

fireplace mantels

no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

fireplace mantels

by C. Devlin » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:27 pm

Anybody have a recommendation for where we can find fireplace mantels or somebody who'll make one?
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: fireplace mantels

by Suzi Bernert » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:26 pm

Antique malls, I saw one at Crazy Daisy on Mellwood this week (disclaimer - i do have a space there, but the mantle is not mine). Also Architechual Salvage on East Broadway between Hancock and Clay. Do you want wood or cast iron? I'll keep an eye out, we go to a lot of auctions.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:49 pm

Well what we're really looking for specifically is a fireplace shelf piece and not a whole surrounding mantel. And because we've got a post and beam timber frame house, we're in the market for something in keeping with all the timber frame/beams.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:35 am

Architectural Salvage on Broadway as Suzi mentioned.

I bought one a there a couple of years ago. Wooden shelf type. Don't remember the cost but a few hundred dollars. Also had them deliver and install on a brick fireplace for an extra charge. This was new. Very well done. Mine was finished but I think they had one that you could finish or paint.

Place is large and has all kind of salvaged stuff. Good to terrible condition.

Suggest you also try Joe Leys on Market St across from Artemisia restaurant. Similar type of place.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:25 pm

Thanks for the recs, folks. We'll be sure to check them out.
no avatar
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:30 pm

We had one made by K & I Lumber about 8 years ago. It's been so long, I can't remember the cost. But I think it was around $500. http://www.ki-lumber.com/

I just found the spot on their site that shows the various mantels.

pre-fab:
http://www.ki-lumber.com/products.php?f ... ery&cat=53

custom:
http://www.ki-lumber.com/products.php?f ... ery&cat=56
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:37 pm

We'd planned to have one made, so thanks for that, Leann. We're going to take a look around this weekend.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:07 am

Leann C wrote:We had one made by K & I Lumber about 8 years ago. It's been so long, I can't remember the cost. But I think it was around $500. http://www.ki-lumber.com/

We just had two made by K&I and they did a terrific job at a very reasonable price.
no avatar
User

Jeff Gillenwater

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:07 pm

by Jeff Gillenwater » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:46 am

Some log cabin owners I know took a small tree from their property to a local sawmill (the tree had to be removed to build), had it rough cut to size, installed a couple of brackets above the fireplace, perched the slab on top, and voila, an inexpensive, rustic, and about as local as one can get mantel.

They even left the bark on the outside edge but you could sand and polish to your desired finish.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by C. Devlin » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:43 pm

Jeff Gillenwater wrote:Some log cabin owners I know took a small tree from their property to a local sawmill (the tree had to be removed to build), had it rough cut to size, installed a couple of brackets above the fireplace, perched the slab on top, and voila, an inexpensive, rustic, and about as local as one can get mantel.

They even left the bark on the outside edge but you could sand and polish to your desired finish.

Well, we'd debated whether to go that route, and we've certainly got plenty of trees around here to play with, but in the end it was apparent we'd have to put more work into it than I'd prefer (we've got too many projects going on all at once as it is), and because we don't really have a log cabin or log-style home (the post and beam timber frame we have is very different from that), we've decided we want a more finished sort of mantel.