Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Bad weather if you're in the AREA

no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Bad weather if you're in the AREA

by Kim H » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:53 pm

I'm sorry, I had to laugh, especially as I read this outloud to my husband. wlky's updated weather forecast:

Advanced Warning Weather Forecast
Jefferson County

Winter Storm Warning In Effect... Strong Winter Storm Looms

Discussion:
What a nice day it was today, especially in the southern two-thirds of the area. You can safely say goodbye to that nice weather in our area. A winter storm warning is in effect for our area... and this storm has the potential to cause several facets of trouble for the area. In specific [in specific??], this storm will begin to cause snow to fall across the northern half of the area. South of there, we could see some wintry precipitation, but it could actually change to rain well south of Louisville. The strengthening low pressure system will move up the Appalachian mountains Friday night. In response, another round of snow (which could be heavy) will pick up in the area. This snow will last through the night... with snow showers lasting through the day Saturday. During the height of the storm (namely Friday night and Saturday early morning), and snow on the ground will blow around and drifting will occur [huh?] as winds pick up in the vicinity [does he mean, in the area??] of this strong low pressure system. In the end, precipitation totals will be in excess of 6 inches in areas north and west of a line from Owen County, KY, to Leitchfield in Grayson County, KY. This includes a vast majority of our viewing area (Louisville as well). South and east of that line, snow tallies will begin to really ramp down as more mixing will occur. The southeastern viewing area will see significantly lower snowfall than our Ohio River counties and points north [or that general area]. Overall, this will be a hard hitting winter storm for a large chunk of our viewing area... and travel plans will be hindered significantly during this storm and afterward until crews can treat them. Be safe, and stay tuned to NewsChannel 32 for the latest updates on this situation. [if you're in the area]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

Re: Bad weather if you're in the AREA

by TanyaD » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:41 am

Ha-ha, Kim! Funny! And I know I don't know much about English, being an Editor and all, but this sentence in particular doesn't make any sense:

During the height of the storm (namely Friday night and Saturday early morning), and snow on the ground will blow around and drifting will occur...
no avatar
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

by Ken Wilson » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:52 am

I want that tee shirt! I happen to be an area man!
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:29 pm

The only site you need for all of your weather needs http://www.weather.gov/lmk
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:14 pm

Ken Wilson wrote:I want that tee shirt! I happen to be an area man!

Here you go.

http://store.theonion.com/area-man-p-174.html
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

by TanyaD » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:10 pm

Wow, robert! Thanks! I just had NOAA bookmarket for Louisville, but your link has a lot more info and looks a lot snazzier!