Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Moving to Louisville

no avatar
User

Dan Smith

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:50 pm

Moving to Louisville

by Dan Smith » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:55 pm

My wife and I are moving to Louisville this summer, where she will start teaching math in one of Louisville's middle schools. She is someone that can get young minds to open up to advanced math, and to get excited about it. It really is magic to see her teach. And to see the kids light up when she starts. I am a disabled vet, and a stay at home dad to our 4 kids. While being a stay at home dad really is something most guys don't aspire to. At all. I have come to see it as quite a blessing. To give our kids the kind of start they'll need in this hectic world of ours.

Before deciding on Louisville we researched cities all over the country. Crime. Quality of schools. Real estate prices compared to a teachers salary. Physical beauty. Things to do for teens besides get in trouble, and a lot of other areas. And Louisville was the clear winner. It really is quite an undertaking moving a family as large as ours. And something we wanted to only do one time.

I picked up the web address for this site from Robins appearance on Throwdown. And by lurking and reading have found this on-line community to be a friendly place to be. I hope you won't mind if I ask questions about Louisville here. Some of them will even be about food, and places to eat! Like good family style restaurants to fill our kids up at.

In closing, I look forward to typing with you and my soon to be neighbors in Louisville.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Re: Moving to Louisville

by Heather L » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:18 pm

Welcome! Well, welcome soon! Where are you coming from?
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Dan Smith

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Dan Smith » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:27 pm

Heather L wrote:Welcome! Well, welcome soon! Where are you coming from?

We are moving from Arcata California. My wife is finishing her teaching credentials from Humboldt State University there. While this place certainly rates an A+ for both physical beauty and weather/climate it scores far worse in every other aspect of life important to a family.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:30 pm

OH my! Want to just trade places?!?! I don't have a family anyway! :lol:
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:51 pm

Welcome, Dan. I know what you mean about the stay at home Dad part. I have been blessed with working a 24/48 schedule with the fire department and have 2 days off in a row to spend with my family. It has made a huge difference to us and has been fantastic fun being there for my son and watching him grow up. The best part is spitting in the eye of people still hung up on gender roles in the 21st century. This is a good bunch of people on the board, so don't be shy about asking questions. Again, welcome to Louisville.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:59 pm

Oooooh goody! New fresh input! Welcome welcome! :D
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

by TanyaD » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:15 pm

Congrats to your wife and welcome! :D
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:44 pm

Dan, I'm a transplant as well. I was born at Parris Island, SC, where my dad was a drill instructor for the Marines in the sixties (A Few Good Men, anyone?). Being a military family, we moved around a LOT. I mean, like, by the time I went to college I had lived at 26 different addresses!! I actually attended three different schools during one school year (6th grade, ugh, that was rough!) We ended up in West Virginia during my high school years, and I got a full music scholarship to Morehead State University in eastern Kentucky, so of course, that's where I went to college (the first time). My roommate just happened to be from Louisville, so when I got out of school she invited me to share an apartment here and the rest is history. After all my gypsy childhood I've been here 25 years, and it's really, truly my home. I do wish it were nearer the ocean, but that's one of its only drawbacks. Great town, great FOOD town, great ARTS town, great cost-of-living, great housing prices (compared to Cali? I can only assume you already know this.) Great history, great Derby Festival. I know it sounds like I'm rhapsodizing, and maybe I am, but I love this city so much. You've made a wise decision, man. Welcome, and please don't hesitate to ask us anything - we have opinions on EVERYTHING you can imagine. Heh.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Dan Smith

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Dan Smith » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:01 pm

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

My wife and I are really excited about this move. One of our favorite things to do is to explore, and find good places to eat. It's a lot of fun to find a little restaurant that isn't a chain. Probably has the owner cooking, and taking pride in their product. It seems you can get some really fantastic food that way. Feel free to toss a few suggestions my way. :-)
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:25 am

There are so many to name.....

One of my personal faves is Omar's Gyros on Baxter Ave. It's a one man show, and it takes a few minutes to get your food, but it's so worth it! I'd recommend the Rasta, which is basically a jerk chicken pita. It's delicious! His hummus is fresh and delicious, and you can't beat the prices.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:50 am

I just hope you arent prone to sinus infections, the Ohio River Valley will exasperate any sinus condition.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:51 pm

Dan, if your interested in living on the Sunny Side of Louisville (aka Southern Indiana) I'm a Realtor and I would be happy to pull some home listings from our area for you to check out! Did I mention that in some cases it's easier to access downtown Louisville from Indiana, plus the taxes are cheeper and overall a wonderful place to live! Plus being a Hoosier is way cooler! If your interested, PM and I'll give you my contact info.
Realtor, Semonin Realtors
Selling homes in beautiful Indiana
no avatar
User

Andrew B

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:10 pm

by Andrew B » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:36 pm

Dan,

Good to see another person that I can relate to, in terms of moving to Louisville.

I'm moving to Louisville in the next few months. I am a sales rep for a large Food Service Packaging Company. In the meantime I'm commuting from Chicago to Louisville.

I'm very excited about the move and joined the board here because I'm VERY anxious about learning more about Louisville, and of course the Foodservice Industry here.

Thank you to everyone here that is generous enough to share their knowledge about this wonderful city!
Andrew B.