Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Who reads advertising?

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Who reads advertising?

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:33 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:(plus, it's easier to skip the full page ads)

Communist! :twisted:

I *think* the search feature is still under construction.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: WayCool new Food & Dining online! Help us test it

by Ethan Ray » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

hey now.

i keep a back-log of numerous magazines at home.
I've got every issue of the Dining mag since Spring 2004, and i think I've looked at some of the same ads over and over and over.
It can get tiresome.

I have the past 5 years of Food Arts, Sante, and most issues of Pastry Art and Design and most hold the same truth... the ads more or less stay the same for a year or so.

Sante always has a huge section in the middle on thicker paper that's some ad-feature on something.
it makes it a pain in the ass to turn the pages since (as intended) it forces itself to open to the middle.

The ironic thing is...
with all these back issues of the Dining mag, i still haven't subscribed.
I guess i enjoy being surprised at finding it on a bookstore shelf, or finding a stack of them showing up at work.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:50 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

hey now.

Mostly I was just teasing you, Ethan. A sense of humor is not required to hang around here, but it doesn't hurt. ;)

Love it or hate it, though, advertising pays the freight for most media, and if you support locally owned and operated media, it's a nice thing to check who advertises to the publications you like and make it a point to support those advertisers.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Mostly I was just teasing you, Ethan. A sense of humor is not required to hang around here, but it doesn't hurt. ;)

Love it or hate it, though, advertising pays the freight for most media, and if you support locally owned and operated media, it's a nice thing to check who advertises to the publications you like and make it a point to support those advertisers.

Hey, i wasn't knocking the advertising dollars... believe me, i know their place.
and more often than not, find myself looking into products i wouldn't have known about otherwise, had i not seen an ad.

and yes, i was aware you were teasing.

I almost included something about "You'll find me in the Red Room drinking a craft beer." :wink:
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:08 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:and yes, i was aware you were teasing.

Okay, cool. If you don't mind, then, I'll later split this digression off to the off-topic forum so we can keep this one open for comments on the new Food & Dining digital edition. I hope more folks will chime in!

First, though, I'm off to Heine Bros' for a fine artisanal espresso drink from a locally owned and operated business ...
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ethan Ray » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ethan Ray wrote:and yes, i was aware you were teasing.

Okay, cool. If you don't mind, then, I'll later split this digression off to the off-topic forum so we can keep this one open for comments on the new Food & Dining digital edition. I hope more folks will chime in!

First, though, I'm off to Heine Bros' for a fine artisanal espresso drink from a locally owned and operated business ...

Sounds good to me... I'm off to work to figure out tasty ways to mess with peoples heads/palates (I'm only halfway kidding)
Ethan Ray