Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

A few questions

no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

A few questions

by robert szappanos » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:31 am

Now that my wife Dawn is resting in peace I have to deal with the legal stuff that you have to do after something like this. I just have a few questions that someone out there might know....Any bills that she had that is just in her name only...am I now responsible for them? Also she has a 2007 Honda that she is leasing through Honda that also is just in her name...Do I have to continue to pay for it? What might be my options? Everthing that I looked at seems to say that if you are not on the contract or a co signer you are not responsible. Any help that you might give me would be are real help....I am finding out already that this is going to be a major adjustment in my life and will take some time for that. Thaks ahead of time for any help that you might have....
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: A few questions

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:45 am

robert szappanos wrote:Now that my wife Dawn is resting in peace I have to deal with the legal stuff that you have to do after something like this. I just have a few questions that someone out there might know....

Robert, it would probably be most prudent to get a lawyer to advise you on this kind of thing in general. As you're already finding out, it can get really complicated, and a small investment in legal advice now could save you not only a lot of money down the road, but also might take a lot of the burden of paperwork and communications off of you.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:18 pm

Robert, I agree with Robin completely. Settling an estate is not terribly difficult, but mistakes can be costly. Shoot me a PM if you'd like a referral or two for estate lawyers (because of the business I'm in I work with several pretty closely).
no avatar
User

BillAndrews

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:40 pm

by BillAndrews » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:31 pm

Robert, when my sister died a few years ago we had a nightmare of a time sorting through her finances. It is incredibly important that you get legal help with this. A good lawyer can provide a steadying influence in what is a very emotional time. Take the advice of these other good folks.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:18 pm

When my dad died 3 1/2 years ago, I took my mom to an estate lawyer and he and his team did an impressive job of handling everything.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:55 pm

Robert:

I will be happy to assist you for no charge. I am a litigator, not an estate attorney, but your issues are not complex. If your issues go beyond my expertise, I can refer you to someone diligent and skilled who won't charge you an arm and a leg.

Send me a PM, and I will give you my contact information.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:37 pm

Thanks I sent you a PM....
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:22 pm

No problemo. I got your PM, and gave you a homework assignment. call me or email with questions.