Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Neighborhood Question - Goldsmith Lane/Bashford Manor Area

by Beth K. » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:36 am

We are currently house hunting. Although we would prefer to stay within the watterson, we are finding a lot of very nice houses just outside for significantly cheaper. Does anyone here live in the Goldsmith Lane/Bashford Manor area? Specifically, the houses we're looking at are located on Belmont, Glenworth and Doreen. I would appreciate any input about the area/neighborhood. I grew up in Crescent Hill, so my familiarity with this neighborhood is small. We went to the cinemas a bit when they were in their heyday, but that's about it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Neighborhood Question - Goldsmith Lane/Bashford Manor Ar

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:05 pm

Beth K. wrote:We are currently house hunting. Although we would prefer to stay within the watterson, we are finding a lot of very nice houses just outside for significantly cheaper. Does anyone here live in the Goldsmith Lane/Bashford Manor area? Specifically, the houses we're looking at are located on Belmont, Glenworth and Doreen. I would appreciate any input about the area/neighborhood. I grew up in Crescent Hill, so my familiarity with this neighborhood is small. We went to the cinemas a bit when they were in their heyday, but that's about it.

Beth, I don't have a lot of information, but I do have some impression that this neighborhood, which was considered very nice a generation ago, is a little more "iffy" nowadays because of demographic change in the broader area, particularly a significant increase in low-income families around Newburg when the city gentrified the old Cotter-Lang (Southwick) public-housing project off Algonquin Parkway, prompting families who couldn't afford the new single-family housing in the old project to move to Newburg instead. Supposedly the increase in crime, graffiti, etc., was a significant factor in the demise of the Showcase cinemas and Bashford Manor mall. If I were considering a house in that area, I'd look into these issues carefully.
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Beth K. » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:08 pm

Robin, this is exactly the type of information that I am needing. Thanks for your input.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:17 pm

Beth K. wrote:Robin, this is exactly the type of information that I am needing. Thanks for your input.

Glad to help, Beth! Bear in mind, though, that this neighborhood is not on my beaten path, so check around and try to get more informed and current info. Those are questions I would ask, though, and certainly the loss of a major theater complex and the major changes at the regional mall (and, in my eyes at least, an significant "seedy" look to the commercial strip in that stretch of Bardstown in recent years) signal something going on that I'd want to have explained if I were considering a move to the area.
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:42 pm

My significant other lives on Goldsmith near Belmont, and I would agree that the neighborhood, while not the safest area in town, is also seemingly in good shape from a structural point of view. This is just my observation from traveling in the area.

I think too many people write off this area, but there really are a lot of decent homes around there, and it has a somewhat good neighborhood feel.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:21 pm

Before you move, plug your address/zip into this gem to get an idea of what kind of sorted individuals you can call "neighbor". My neighborhood, Crescent Hill, didn't disappoint with 19 sex offenders. You can't get away from them, but some areas have more than others.

Creep locator: here http://kspsor.state.ky.us/
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:41 pm

My friend got an inexpensive but very well-built house there, within walking distance of Al Watan.

If you have childen, though, look into the schools very carefully. Her neighbohood school is dreadful, and to get to a good school in the cluster, her children have to take two buses for a grand total commute of 45 minutes each way.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:28 pm

I've lived on Doreen for about 9 years. It's always been very quiet and friendly, and I feel very safe there. We haven't had any problems at all. A big plus is we're less than a block from the Bon Air library.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

by Bill R » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:30 pm

I would have to call the area less than safe. The crime problems of the newberg area are spreading out from its epicenter. You may look a little farther out Taylorsville Rd or north around Browns Ln. We are also looking for housing right now, and the market is so slow you should be able to find everything you want at low prices. Fuuny thing about the market right now "flippers" are lucky to sell their properties at purchase price!
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:31 am

After the big home remodel for the family next to the Bashford Manor Mall it'll be interesting to see how that effects property values and what that does to home sales in the area.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:37 pm

carla griffin wrote:After the big home remodel for the family next to the Bashford Manor Mall it'll be interesting to see how that effects property values and what that does to home sales in the area.

It really wasn't a remodel. It was a tear down and rebuild.

Also, being a couple of miles away, it shouldn't have any effect on that immediate neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:35 pm

Michelle R. wrote:I've lived on Doreen for about 9 years. It's always been very quiet and friendly, and I feel very safe there. We haven't had any problems at all. A big plus is we're less than a block from the Bon Air library.

I would agree about that neighborhood - my negative remarks above were pretty much limited to the immediate area around Bashford Manor and along Bardstown from there north toward the Watterson.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:39 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Michelle R. wrote:I've lived on Doreen for about 9 years. It's always been very quiet and friendly, and I feel very safe there. We haven't had any problems at all. A big plus is we're less than a block from the Bon Air library.

I would agree about that neighborhood - my negative remarks above were pretty much limited to the immediate area around Bashford Manor and along Bardstown from there north toward the Watterson.

Robin, there was certainly no offense taken by your remarks! I was just giving Beth some input on the neighborhood! ;)
Last edited by Michelle R. on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Neighborhood Question - Goldsmith Lane/Bashford Manor Area

by Beth K. » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:15 pm

Thank you everyone for all your helpful info. We actually found a cute little place in Seneca Gardens. It needs a little work, but nothing we can't handle. It will be great to get back to the 'ville! (I've been displaced in Lexington for almost 2 years.)

Thanks again!