Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Barb T.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm

South End

The 1860's Mansion at 17th and Jefferson

by Barb T. » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:48 am

My son has been asking me about this house and then I see it on the Steve's History Forum so now I am curious. There was an article in "This Old House" magazine about the mansion and apparently it has been the subject of some photographers. It's badly run-down but still very beautiful, and looks kind of Gothic. There have been stories circulating that the city will give it away free if the purchaser can obtain the funds to remove the asbestos and make the other repairs which would be extensive. It is unlikely, tho, that any business could justify the expense when the house sits in such a bad area. It's only a few blocks from the tourist district but a lot happens in those few blocks. It would be very, very sad if that house is ever razed so I am wondering if anyone knows anything about this mansion and its prospects. I was telling my son, as we rode by to take a look, that the only way to save the house is to save the adjacent area. The first thing that would entail is improved street lighting. The house would make a great B&B, a 3 story indoor mall, or just rented out for offices. Any ideas?
no avatar
User

Ken Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:05 am

Greater Metropolitan Fisherville

by Ken Peters » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:04 pm

17th & Jefferson Sts. You're kidding; right ?

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/metropolice/
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:36 pm

Ken Peters wrote:17th & Jefferson Sts. You're kidding; right ?

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/metropolice/

No, she's not. There's a real mansion there. What's the issue?

I think this is the thread Barb is referring to.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist