Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Eleven Jones Cave

User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

Eleven Jones Cave

by Bedford Crenshaw » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:14 am

Does anyone know exactly where Eleven Jones Cave is well enough to guide me there? I want to take a picture of it to use. I know its on Beargrass Creek southeast of the corner of Poplar Level and Eastern Parkway, but I need a little more guidance to walk there.

Thanks.
Have you hugged your penguin today?
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:45 pm

I've never been and didn't even know it exists. The Encyclopedia of Louisville states it is 1600 feet southwest of the intersection of Eastern Parkway and Poplar Level. That can't be correct, I suspect it should be "southeast".

I have looked at a USGS geologic quadrangle map, and while the cave is not specifically shown, I think I know where it is. Based on the rock formations shown, it is likely on the west side of the creek about 1600 feet (there's that number again) south of where Beargrass Creek crosses Eastern Parkway (across from the Medical Center). Maybe a photograph might best be taken from across the creek (east side), and the way to access that appears to be from the extreme west side of Calvary Cemetary. The cave itself appears to be along the creek near where St Xavier High School and Louisville Cemetary properties abut.

I have a copy of the map that I can email to you. If you want it, send me a PM. If you find and photograph the cave, please post the picture.
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:00 pm

I'll be putting it on Wikipedia, so no problems there.

However, I don't want to hike too much; I was severely out of breath after hiking back uphill after taking pictures of Fourteenmile Creek at Charlestown State Park a few months ago.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:05 pm

Bedford Crenshaw wrote:However, I don't want to hike too much...

Well, maybe we can just bring the cave to you. :lol:

If access for a photograph is as I describe, the map indicates it will be a relatively gentle slope to and from the creek. I might run over there this weekend and check it out - you've made me curious.
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:20 am

A gentle slope I can probably handle. :P

Anyways, al I can find out about it is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleven_Jones_Cave
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:03 pm

Bedford Crenshaw wrote:A gentle slope I can probably handle. :P

Anyways, al I can find out about it is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleven_Jones_Cave

I found the cave this morning. It's exactly where I indicated in the earlier post. Wiki is wrong. I parked at the Germantown Baseball fields next to St. Xavier High School and hiked through the woods down the creek. There is a much simpler way, though. I'll PM you explicit directions for the easiest way, if you like. It will involve walking down a fairly steep, but short, wooded slope toward the creek. That means, of course, you have to walk back up the slope to get back. :P

Here's a photo. That's a soccer ball to the left of the cave entrance. I took other pictures and can send those to you, if you want them.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:26 pm

There are huge caverns under the Louisville Zoo. This has got to be part of the same system. I wonder if they connect.

Jay, get your headlamp and your spelunking gear!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:11 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:There are huge caverns under the Louisville Zoo. This has got to be part of the same system. I wonder if they connect.

If I'm not mistaken, the Zoo "caves" were not natural but built as part of a quarrying operation in older times. Later used for documents storage and, during the McCarthy era, as a potential mass bomb shelter.

They might have chosen that location because of some pre-existing caverns to start with, though.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:27 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:There are huge caverns under the Louisville Zoo. This has got to be part of the same system. I wonder if they connect.

Robin is correct. These are not natural caves and you don't need anything but a vehicle to drive around. They are, however not open to the public and are used for various companies storage, etc.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:55 pm

Our office stores its archive case files at the underground storage facility beneath the zoo. It's enormous and they store lots of boats, RVs, etc. down there. I believe, at one time, it was a gigantic Civil Defense shelter.

http://www.undergroundvaults.com

From http://www.win.net/brother/vampire/underground.htm:

User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:06 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:...Jay, get your headlamp and your spelunking gear!

Not me, Ron. Slithering on my belly through mud and flowing water in tight spaces and almost total darkness ain't my idea of fun. :wink:

I'm amazed that such unique natural things are so close to me in this urban area.
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:31 pm

I also took two pictures. This may also be the cave, but I'm not sure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:11_jones_cave_2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:11_jones_cave.jpg

Are they. I had bad sun positioning
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:04 pm

Bedford Crenshaw wrote:I also took two pictures. This may also be the cave, but I'm not sure...

Are they. I had bad sun positioning

Yes sir - that's it. I'm surprised we didn't run into each other there! :)

I took photos from the west side of Beargrass creek and yours are from the east side. You must have been there just after I went, because the soccer ball I found and placed for scale is in your photos. Too funny.
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:19 pm

I was there around 2:25 (I remember looking at the time so I could judge "true south", as I know "high noon", at least in New Albany in winter, is 12:48pm) I'll still use a few of your photos. One of mine is OK, but the sun really did a number of my zoomed pic. :(