Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Humana sale to Aetna

User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Humana sale to Aetna

by TP Lowe » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:02 am

And so the promises begin - "retain a significant corporate presence in Louisville." I'm sure we all dearly hope that to be true, but we also know that costs have to be wrung out of these deals for them to work. Rarely does 1+1=3.

So, what's does Humana do for the community that you most hope will be continued?
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

Re: Humana sale to Aetna

by John Greenup » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Long term, Humana's future in Louisville will be whatever Aetna determines it will be.

"We took their money - they own us." -- Bert Cooper ("Mad Men")
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:42 pm

Having witnessed varying degrees of this same type of corporate/community drama in other places I have lived, I would be shocked if the same level of corporate citizenship exists here in Louisville two or three years from now.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:43 am

People said similar things when Brown & Williamson Tobacco left, but it seems that others took up the slack.

It's interesting that the corporate "citizens" who profited from tobacco and then from working the medical-hospital-pharma complex (not to mention other contributors from the distilling industry) have been among the biggest supporters of the arts and charities. It's not hard to come up with some theories about why it works that way.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:48 am

Actually, we're still suffering in a few areas from the B&W departure. For example, they were big supporters of dance, both sponsoring locals and underwriting guest artists. We've never gotten funding back to the levels that B&W provided.

In general, the change in corporate support for the arts in general has been very negative in the past decade - all props to Brown-Forman, Humana and others that continue to be generous.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:09 am

TP Lowe wrote:Actually, we're still suffering in a few areas from the B&W departure. For example, they were big supporters of dance, both sponsoring locals and underwriting guest artists. We've never gotten funding back to the levels that B&W provided.

In general, the change in corporate support for the arts in general has been very negative in the past decade - all props to Brown-Forman, Humana and others that continue to be generous.

Let me clarify, because certainly I agree with you: Any loss in funding hurts. I'm trying to express the other side of the coin, the reality that this is a generous community and that no single corporate source, no matter how large, is indispensible. We can't afford to get to the point where we rely on a single sponsor who might not always be there.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:46 am

Robin Garr wrote:We can't afford to get to the point where we rely on a single sponsor who might not always be there.

I couldn't agree more. This is a remarkably generous community, as shown in several recent campaigns (Speed Museum, James Graham Brown Cancer Center), but reliance on too few of those funders is dangerous. But it is a constant challenge in the nonprofit community to "unearth" the next wave of donors who may not be trained/educated in the need to be philanthropic. Whew. This is a discussion we've probably all had a hundred times!
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:19 am

I remain optimistic that Humana's Medicare and Military business units will stay here, and actually grow, but I'm not happy about Louisville losing the notoriety of a Fortune 500 HQ.

I'm hoping there's some local entrepreneurial spirit and energy to create something like Wendell Cherry and David Jones did.