Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

RobMattheu

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:11 pm

Childhood Memories of Louisville

by RobMattheu » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:08 pm

The recent announcement of the sale of Showcase Cinemas has me pondering. My family moved here in 1975, and I can remember many a movie seen at Showcase Cinemas. As we rarely ventured that way beyond seeing a movie, I can remember always thinking it was cool to see the theater, the surrounding businesses, and even visit Bashford Manor Mall (we lived in Oldham County, so we primarily were Mall and Oxmoor people). Showcase was where I saw any movie that mattered, and where I went on many dates with my wife, including our first. All that's left is that big sign where so many great films once had their names displayed.

I'm curious if anyone would be interested in seeing/contributing to a blog devoted to old pictures in and around Louisville. The building where I work has many really old photos of Louisville and the surrounding area, but I thought it would be fun to see pictures of more recent history, including shopping corridors, streets as they used to be, and other Louisville landmarks past and present. I love seeing pictures of and inside buildings as they existed back then. I'd love to be able to step inside or around some of these buildings before they were changed by time, and even see streets and neighborhoods before they developed into what they are today.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Childhood Memories of Louisville

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:14 pm

Hey, Rob! It's great to see you found our new Facebook front door. I hope you'll hang around in this little corner of friendly 'net conversation that's not Facebook. :mrgreen:

I think your idea has merit. Lots of old-timers, and lots of newcomers who really would love to see how it looked when SEARS was in the place where Sears used to be, would probably beat down the doors.

That said, there's an active Facebook page on this general topic, and if you haven't joined it, you probably should.

But anyway, love the idea, and if you fire it up, might even be willing to host it as a semi-food related corner of HotBytes, unless you'd rather do your own WordPress or Blogger or Facebook thing.

Louisville,Kentucky History-Back In The Good Old Days
https://www.facebook.com/groups/241426079346373/
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:46 pm

There is another FB page thst does that, too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/www.bac ... odolddays/

The administrator puts the photos in albums, so you can llook at what interests you. :D
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:11 am

I guess I'll have to dust off my FB credentials and check those links out. I've just never liked the FB style of things. I would however love to see a nice blog on this subject, and I'd certainly help with posts and/or pictures.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:13 am

Just noticed the other day that Rose Bowl on Goldsmith Lane is closed. When did that happen?!! Granted, I haven't bowled a frame in many a moon, but that's the neighborhood where I grew up, and where I learned to bowl. Sad - Bashford Manor, Showcase, and now Rose Bowl! :(