Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

UPS Store on Charlestown Rd., New Albany

by C. Devlin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:26 pm

For anybody who might be thinking of taking advantage of their purported Christmas hours, be aware. They may or not be there, depending on whether they just feel like closing up shop early, leaving you to stand outside their door with your nose pressed against the glass wondering where everybody went.

This past Friday, I phoned the store in the morning to see whether they had Christmas hours, and whether they would be open that night. Oh yes! exclaimed the owner, cheerfully, and then very helpfully outlined the hours and all the various services for me. They'd be open til 9 pm. Lovely fellow.

And so, at 8:40 pm, my husband and I pull up to the front of the store just as a woman is flipping off the lights and walking out the door. As she turns the key, I ask, feeling slightly foolish, whether they're closing. Yep. I looked at the door, noting the posted holiday hours (which, by the way are also posted on the web site), and as she walked across the parking lot, I told her I'd phoned earlier and what I'd been told. No, she said, he told you we'd be open til 8:30. Well, how peculiar. Especially as she didn't know who I was or whom I'd talked to. When I corrected her, she said, "Well I just spoke to the owner and he said I could close up because we didn't have any business."

So, we went to Meier's (sp?) next door, spent something like $200 on boxes and packing materials, and the next morning I emailed the store to note my dismay and that it seemed odd that a business would turn its back at the door on a paying customer, that I'd spent my $200 elsewhere, just down the street, and that I'd be giving another UPS Store my business in the future.

I still haven't heard back from them.

And I still don't get it.