Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Advice on kerosene heaters, anyone?

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:11 am

With a somewhat increasing incidence of serious ice storms in the region over the past few years, I've been thinking about picking up a modern-technology kerosene heater to have in reserve, feeling this might be about as effective (and probably more feasible) than a generator in allowing us to stay in our house with our pets in the event of a long winter power outage.

I've got a few concerns, though, and was hoping that some of you who have experience with these rigs could offer advice:

1) Are the new models really 100 percent safe for indoor use in terms of fire hazard and exhaust/suffocation issues? Any particular safety-first suggestions or gotchas?

2) How about kerosene storage in terms of fire hazard? I'm thinking I'd keep it in the separate garage rather than in the house.

3) What size would be necessary to keep one or two rooms habitable in a well-insulated house?

4) How much kerosene would it be likely to take to run the thing for several days? A few gallons is okay, but I don't really want to have to keep a 55-gallon drum around.

5) Any other tips or pointers I didn't think to ask about? Any other alternatives to kerosene?

Oh, yeah, and for the Louisville edition of this post, recommended vendors? Oscar's Hardware on Frankfort has one for about $200. Home Despot will probably under-sell that, but within reason I'd rather support a local firm. Any companies out there that specialize?
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:54 am

Robin,

There are some very important safety precautions to consider with kerosene heaters.

1. Use only water clear 1-K grade kerosene. Never use any other type of fuel in it at all.

2. Purchase a NEW fuel can for it. I would suggest one or two 5 litre GREEN plastic fuel cans, with spouts. Green indicates a completely different fuel than you would run in any of your other liquid fuel powered items. Check with the manufacturer on run time for fuel capacity.

3. NEVER fuel the heater indoors or while hot. Let it cool down and refuel it in a well ventilated area.

4. No matter how efficient a heater you purchase the burning of fossil fuel will create carbon dioxide. If you are using it in a whole house situation then the recommendation is to leave enough interior doors in the area open for ventilation. If using it in a single room, or two rooms, the recommendation is to open a window a minimum of an inch to circulate some air in the room. Never use a kerosene heater wihout some form of at least minimal ventilation.

5. If your home burns ANY sort of carbon based fuel (natural gas, fuel oil, propane...etc)in ANY appliance (including wood burning stoves and fireplaces) I would also highly recommend a good carbon monoxide detector to place in the area where you will be using it. Preferable are the types with digital readouts that measure below 1000 parts per million concentration. The highest people at risk for CO poisoning are unborn babies, infants, children, senior citizens and people with coronary and/or respiratory problems.

6. Know the warning signs of CO poisoning: headaches, fatigue, nausea, dizzy spells, confusion and irritability. It blocks the oxygen carrying portion of the red blood cell, hemoglobin. Bright cherry red skin is often a symptom you find mentioned. We usually only see that after death when CO is in extremely high concentrations.

7. Store ALL of your liquid fuels out of your house, if possible. Fuel vapor travels well indoors.

8. Only purcase a new heater with the current UL and NFPA compliant safety features.

9. Don't be scared off by all of the above. When used correctly, with a lot of proper information, common sense, safety precautions and preparation, kerosene heaters can be used safely for just the emergency you are planning on.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:14 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:There are some very important safety precautions to consider with kerosene heaters.

Thanks, Ed! That's very helpful indeed!

Anyone else, particularly with vendor tips and generalizations about liters of kerosene per hour in typical use?
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:33 pm

Robin,

5. If your home burns ANY sort of carbon based fuel (natural gas, fuel oil, propane...etc)in ANY appliance (including wood burning stoves and fireplaces) I would also highly recommend a good carbon monoxide detector to place in the area where you will be using it. Preferable are the types with digital readouts that measure below 1000 parts per million concentration. The highest people at risk for CO poisoning are unborn babies, infants, children, senior citizens and people with coronary and/or respiratory problems.

6. Know the warning signs of CO poisoning: headaches, fatigue, nausea, dizzy spells, confusion and irritability. It blocks the oxygen carrying portion of the red blood cell, hemoglobin. Bright cherry red skin is often a symptom you find mentioned. We usually only see that after death when CO is in extremely high concentrations.

This is good advice. I have had some unfortunate cases that involve CO poisoning. Lanterns, generators, and heaters are common sources when used indoors. CO can be deadly or cause severe and permanent brain damage at concentrations well below 1000 parts per million. Levels are fatal at 400 parts per million, and lesser concentrations can result in brain damage and death when exposed to for long periods of time, like heating a room where someone sleeps for 8 hours. CO is colorless and odorless. The earliest signs are headache, followed by a feeling like you need to clear your ears, then conusion, muscle fatigue, and lack of coordination. Unfortunately, lethargry is also an effect and people fall asleep and never recover. Anytime you have combustion indoors, it is imperative to be vigilant about CO. Most CO exposures result in death.