Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

Re: WHAS

by Carolyne Davis » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:54 am

Vince Yustas wrote:Speaking of downsizing, I just saw where WHAS84 axed many of their key personnel, including replacing Joe Elliott with that idiot Michael Savage. Looks like, unsurprisingly, ClearChannel is following right along in Gannett's tracks! What a shame for Louisvillians that more non-local junk is being dumped into Kentuckiana -- but never fear, the corporate bottom line is in good hands!!!!

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071130/NEWS01/71130007/1008

Thank goodness we have THREE amazing radio stations under the Public Radio Partnership and New Albany High School's station. At least the listening public here has options! Listening to commercial radio is like eating at chain restaurants. (That's MY opinion and I'm stickin' to it!)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:10 am

Carolyne Davis wrote:Thank goodness we have THREE amazing radio stations under the Public Radio Partnership and New Albany High School's station. At least the listening public here has options! Listening to commercial radio is like eating at chain restaurants. (That's MY opinion and I'm stickin' to it!)

I couldn't agree more, Carolyne!

This would probably be a good place to add that our great public radio stations really need and deserve our support. I hate to admit that I'm careless about it myself - frankly, I hate the way PRP handles pledge drives and wish they'd do it better; I tend to tune out during the periodic beg-a-thons rather than getting excited about helping. But that's my issue, and I'm not proud of it. Public Radio Partnership is like Louisville Originals indeed - and if we don't support them both with our dollars, we can't expect to have them around forever.

This probably ought to be pulled out as a separate thread ...
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

by Vince Yustas » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Carolyne Davis wrote:Thank goodness we have THREE amazing radio stations under the Public Radio Partnership and New Albany High School's station. At least the listening public here has options! Listening to commercial radio is like eating at chain restaurants. (That's MY opinion and I'm stickin' to it!)

This would probably be a good place to add that our great public radio stations really need and deserve our support. I hate to admit that I'm careless about it myself - frankly, I hate the way PRP handles pledge drives and wish they'd do it better; I tend to tune out during the periodic beg-a-thons rather than getting excited about helping. But that's my issue, and I'm not proud of it. Public Radio Partnership is like Louisville Originals indeed - and if we don't support them both with our dollars, we can't expect to have them around forever.

I am 100% behind NPR programming and support. I do a lot of traveling in the western half of the state, and one set of my FM buttons is set to all their stations, from Somerset to Paducah -- if I'm out of range, I go to my audiobook. Anyway, one of my favorites is the BBC news. It is often quite an eye opener to see ourselves as others in the world see us.

I agree with Robin about the pledge drives -- lots of audiobook time here. However, I do make it a point to call in my pledge every year and was disheartened to hear how close they came this year to not making their goals -- and the current administration has made it clear that there will be virtually no federal support for public radio.

Also agree about the separate thread.
Vince Yustas
Brandenburg (nee Paterson, NJ) KY
"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or the cook."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:05 pm

Vince Yustas wrote:Also agree about the separate thread.

Done! Let 'er rip!
no avatar
User

Hank Sutton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:44 pm

Downtown Louisville

by Hank Sutton » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

This would probably be a good place to add that our great public radio stations really need and deserve our support. I hate to admit that I'm careless about it myself - frankly, I hate the way PRP handles pledge drives and wish they'd do it better; I tend to tune out during the periodic beg-a-thons rather than getting excited about helping. But that's my
issue, and I'm not proud of it. Public Radio Partnership is like Louisville Originals indeed - and if we don't support them both with our dollars, we can't expect to have them around forever.

Disclosure: I volunteer at PRP during pledge drives and have supported public radio and television for many years.

I agree that Public Radio Partnership is important and also unique to Louisville. This is the only city that has all three public radio stations working together in one building. The stations really do listen to local citizens and program accordingly.

Just a few examples:

Local news and special feature reports along with local and civil talk on "State of Affairs" , "Homegrown", "The Kentucky Author Forum", a recent live Louisville broadcast of "Whad'Ya Know?" and other great programs at WFPL:
http://www.wfpl.org/
(Yes, there are some syndicated programs from NPR and others but it is still far superior to any commercial programming.)

Live Lunch, summer Waterfront Wednesdays and great music you won't hear anywhere else from WFPK:
http://www.wfpk.org/

Classical music with special choral and opera events from WUOL:
http://www.wuol.org/index.php

I apologize if this sounds like a "commercial" for public radio but I know people who still are of the mistaken opinion that public radio is "liberal and dull." It is neither especially with 3 different stations here in Louisville!

I understand the complaints about the pledge drives but they are only twice a year for 7 days each.
(Year round donations are always gratefully accepted as well.)

Unfortunately, underwriters and ever decreasing public money are not enough to sustain our unique public radio.

Everyone wishes there was a better way to fund public radio and they are always open to suggestions for fund raising.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:41 pm

Hank Sutton wrote:I understand the complaints about the pledge drives but they are only twice a year for 7 days each.
(Year round donations are always gratefully accepted as well.)

Unfortunately, underwriters and ever decreasing public money are not enough to sustain our unique public radio.

Everyone wishes there was a better way to fund public radio and they are always open to suggestions for fund raising.

Let me clarify: My objection is not to the FACT of the pledge drives. I understand that they are necessary. My concern is that they are so poorly, unprofessionally produced, without a scintilla of wit, innovation or creativity.

One easy test: Listen during a special Prairie Home Companion pledge show when Keillor & Co. have produced spoof pledge moments that make hilarious fun of the worst of the worst. Then notice what it's like when they break back to the station, and we get to hear WFPL volunteers and off-air staff babbling to fill air time without a script, unintentionally parodying the spots, but worse.

They've got creative people and professional on-air talent at PRP. Why not use them, and think outside the box, to create pledge breaks that are humorous, intelligent and fun? And THEN watch the pledges roll in.

Harrumph!
no avatar
User

Hank Sutton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:44 pm

Downtown Louisville

by Hank Sutton » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:54 pm

Hi, Robin,

I agree with you and sorry to misunderstand the meaning of the post about pledge drives.:oops:

I have heard the Prairie Home Companion for many years and enjoy the way Garrison Keillor and company do their humorous fund raising skits and wonder why the local stations do not use humor also.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:38 pm

Hank Sutton wrote:Hi, Robin,

I agree with you and sorry to misunderstand the meaning of the post about pledge drives.:oops:

I have heard the Prairie Home Companion for many years and enjoy the way Garrison Keillor and company do their humorous fund raising skits and wonder why the local stations do not use humor also.

Funny fund-raising spots would be effective I'm sure, Hank, but I wouldn't insist on humor. I believe quality persuasive material, read by pros, would be more effective than the current system of (apparently) inviting PRP board members and friends to come in and excitedly ad lib on open mike. That's a turn-off where they need a turn-on.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Funny fund-raising spots would be effective I'm sure, Hank, but I wouldn't insist on humor. I believe quality persuasive material, read by pros, would be more effective than the current system of (apparently) inviting PRP board members and friends to come in and excitedly ad lib on open mike. That's a turn-off where they need a turn-on.

Guess I'm one of the boring friends and former board member who did semi-annual gigs with my late friend Phil Bailey for years (starting back in Bowling Green when we raised the original money for the station there, and then locally on PRP when we both moved here). I would always arrange for a number of calls to try to get the one-to-three hour tote well into the thousands. That's why you have board members and friends - hopefully to load the deck before the blessed on-air event and then cash in! I can't say I ever had too much entertaining to say (although I can bring along with me perhaps one of the best collections of Latin jazz around!).
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:18 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Guess I'm one of the boring friends and former board member who did semi-annual gigs with my late friend Phil Bailey for years (starting back in Bowling Green when we raised the original money for the station there, and then locally on PRP when we both moved here). I would always arrange for a number of calls to try to get the one-to-three hour tote well into the thousands. That's why you have board members and friends - hopefully to load the deck before the blessed on-air event and then cash in! I can't say I ever had too much entertaining to say (although I can bring along with me perhaps one of the best collections of Latin jazz around!).

I guess there are exceptions to every rule, TP. ;)

Seriously, though, it seems to me that what you're describing is the way it <i>ought</i> to be but all too rarely <i>is</i>. All I can say is that when pledge drive comes on, I end up missing a couple of weeks of Prairie Home Companion because, as much as I want to be kind, the pledge breaks are consistently boring and interminable. Some Latin jazz would be <i>most</i> welcome, believe me.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:41 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Seriously, though, it seems to me that what you're describing is the way it <i>ought</i> to be but all too rarely <i>is</i>. All I can say is that when pledge drive comes on, I end up missing a couple of weeks of Prairie Home Companion because, as much as I want to be kind, the pledge breaks are consistently boring and interminable. Some Latin jazz would be <i>most</i> welcome, believe me.

I don't disagree, Robin. It seems like I am constantly raising money for organizations, and it's not a romantic gig. I have the sense that public radio (from a national perspective) is going to be much more savvy in their development efforts, which will allow local stations to also benefit from a more sophisticated approach. Without going into too much detail, I just think the game may be changing, and I'm excited for them. Don't expect a complete doing-away-with of the fund drives, though - they are just too important.

And, any time you want to borrow some Latin jazz CDs, I'll meet you at Heine Bros. and lay some on you!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:16 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Don't expect a complete doing-away-with of the fund drives, though - they are just too important.

At the risk of boring repetition ;) , I really do understand this. It would be stupid to try to get along without them. Just wouldn't work.

All I'm saying is that they could be done so much more competently, and would very likely be more effective if they were.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:50 am

I just have to chime in here - being a WFPL staffer. Robin, I don't know if you listened any to our last drive (especially on WFPL), but things have changed with the new management. We have scripts for drive and we try and get to the point and get out. I agree, the rambling pledge breaks were a chore for both the listeners and staff. No one wants to listen all the time during the drives, but I do think beginning with this last drive we have a better sound. Hey, maybe that's why we raised more money in a shorter time period!

Thanks for the support!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:55 am

Robin F. wrote:I just have to chime in here - being a WFPL staffer. Robin, I don't know if you listened any to our last drive (especially on WFPL), but things have changed with the new management. We have scripts for drive and we try and get to the point and get out. I agree, the rambling pledge breaks were a chore for both the listeners and staff. No one wants to listen all the time during the drives, but I do think beginning with this last drive we have a better sound. Hey, maybe that's why we raised more money in a shorter time period!

Thanks for the support!

Hey, Robin ... good to see you! I'll accept your gentle correction. Frankly, because the pledge breaks had become so boring (in my humble opinion), I'm afraid I've become unfortunately skilled at zoning out when they come on, so I didn't notice a change.

Next time I'll listen, I promise. And pledge!