Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:43 pm

I am pretty certain that granite will outlast concrete in all climates, not just the "harsh" environment of upstate NY.

As for the C-J liberal bias, when did the Gannett Corp. become liberal?
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:56 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:I am pretty certain that granite will outlast concrete in all climates, not just the "harsh" environment of upstate NY.

As for the C-J liberal bias, when did the Gannett Corp. become liberal?

If you use granite you are probably a liberal.

Being a proponent of smaller government, I think we should get rid of the wasteful National Weather Service. Tom Wills is all we need.

Just think how much money we could save. We could even afford granite curbs.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:07 pm

But if you do that what will Tom has to say....Where do you think he gets all of his stuff from....for that matter all of them do.... :roll: :roll:
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:07 pm

Steve Shade wrote:If you use granite you are probably a liberal.

:lol: now, that was funny.
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:50 pm

Steve Shade wrote:If you use granite you are probably a liberal.

Good one! You'd think so reading here, wouldn't you. :)
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:24 pm

There's a reason the Curious-Urinal has the nickname "Pravda on the Ohio".
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

curbs

by Sonja W » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:27 am

"Roadway icing conditions are much more severe in New York state than those in our milder climate, so the research cited by the CJ might not be applicable here".

Yes, the freeze-thaw cycle is more severe in the climate of NY state. But it happens here too, and is therefore applicable to Louisville. Every time it freezes and thaws, the underlying rebar expands and contracts, which puts pressure on the concrete to crack. Water leaks in, ice forms, and the concrete cracks again, allowing more water in next time and further damage and deterioration.

Granite curbs have a proven, far better record of longevity compared to concrete/rebar. Any engineer or architect will tell you that. If granite curbs can last 100 New York winters, how many more years can we get for this investment in Louisville?
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:19 am

Bedford Crenshaw wrote:There's a reason the Curious-Urinal has the nickname "Pravda on the Ohio".

Again I ask, when did the Gannett Corp become liberal? sorry, I am not buying it.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:18 pm

It's pretty tough to be Pravda on the Ohio when you endorsed Anne Northrup in two of her reelection campaigns over the democratic challenger.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:54 pm

Charles W. wrote:It's pretty tough to be Pravda on the Ohio when you endorsed Anne Northrup in two of her reelection campaigns over the democratic challenger.

exactly! hey, I am one of those naughty liberals. I'd be the first to cheer if the C-J was liberal, but it's not . . it's not even close. It's just bad.
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:20 pm

My beef is mainly with the nutty editorial board, not the regular staff reporters. Can't we draw the line there?
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:39 pm

Steve Magruder wrote:My beef is mainly with the nutty editorial board, not the regular staff reporters. Can't we draw the line there?

Ed Vermillion said it best (in the Library Tax thread):

Ed Vermillion wrote:I do hope that once this vote is taken and the issue is settled, again, for another few years that you all would band together and join me in marching to 6th & Broadway. In that once storied building of the Courier-Journal reside an editorial board of such vindictive, shallow and craven ilk that it boggles the mind.
no avatar
User

Bedford Crenshaw

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 am

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Bedford Crenshaw » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:48 am

Ron Johnson wrote:
Charles W. wrote:It's pretty tough to be Pravda on the Ohio when you endorsed Anne Northrup in two of her reelection campaigns over the democratic challenger.

exactly! hey, I am one of those naughty liberals. I'd be the first to cheer if the C-J was liberal, but it's not . . it's not even close. It's just bad.

1) Have you ever read their editorials?
2) They need to throw a token GOP candidate every once an a while; makes you wonder how bad the Dems those years were.
Have you hugged your penguin today?
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:17 am

Yes, I have read their editorials. Thye are bad, not as bad as Fox News, but bad.

The paper is FAR from liberal. It is owned by a huge corporation, and the editorial board is very pro-corporate and conservative.
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:32 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Yes, I have read their editorials. Thye are bad, not as bad as Fox News, but bad.

The paper is FAR from liberal. It is owned by a huge corporation, and the editorial board is very pro-corporate and conservative.

Interesting. I had to check their website to make sure nothing had happened in the last 24 hours, and indeed, I find that David Hawpe is still the Editorial Director.

Would you please call him for me and offer your comment that the editorial board is pro-corporate and conservative. Conference me in to your call - I'd like to hear his reaction.

Here is the contact info:

David Hawpe, Editorial Director 582-4613 dhawpe@louisvil.gannett.com
PreviousNext