Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:55 pm

WHAS fired several people, 4-6? You overestimate the omnipotence of Jerry. Your gullibility on this conspiracy theory will need to be considered when you float the next one.
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:14 pm

Here is the letter I sent to management at both Clear Channel and WHAS. The more I think about this, the more upset I get. While I'm sure my letter won't make any difference, at least I voiced my opinion.

Dear WHAS and Clear Channel,

I am totally dismayed at the recent termination of Joe Elliott as talk show host from 9:00 p.m. to midnight on 84-WHAS radio. Of all the personalities on your radio station, Mr. Elliott was the most fair, most professional and most entertaining. His shows were informative, provocative and fairly balanced in the discussion that ensued. It takes a fantastic talent to be able to handle both sides of an issue the way Joe could. Most of all, he brought issues to the forefront that were important to Louisville, Jefferson County and the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Yet, he could host a show about TV trivia (with David Inman) or the Answer Guy with just as much aplomb as he did the volatile issues. He was a great asset to WHAS and to Clear Channel. Your subsequent handling of his dismissal flat out stinks.

I, for one, plan on contacting WHAS sponsors to also voice my opinion on this total lack of class on the decision to lay-off a 14-year exceptional talk-show talent. I will no longer listen to WHAS. I'm sure that means nothing to you, but I listened every day. I am not interested in homogenous shows like "Handel on the Law" (one of the most vile shows on your airwaves) that are a dime a dozen and not nearly as entertaining and informative as the Joe Elliott Show was. Whoever you put in Joe's time slot will not be fit to use his microphone. Clear Channel and WHAS, you have dropped the ball on this one and you are a lesser business because of it. The community has lost a great asset in Joe Elliott. I look forward to his future show on your competitor's airwaves because his talent is too great to be silenced for long.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Clark
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:40 pm

Charles W. wrote:WHAS fired several people, 4-6? You overestimate the omnipotence of Jerry. Your gullibility on this conspiracy theory will need to be considered when you float the next one.

If you are referring to me, you missed where I said "OK, maybe there isn't a conspiracy here" which should have indicated that I didn't believe my own wild thought there.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:50 pm

Steve Magruder wrote:
Charles W. wrote:WHAS fired several people, 4-6? You overestimate the omnipotence of Jerry. Your gullibility on this conspiracy theory will need to be considered when you float the next one.

If you are referring to me, you missed where I said "OK, maybe there isn't a conspiracy here" which should have indicated that I didn't believe my own wild thought there.

That's reassuring.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:05 pm

From http://www.wave3.com/global/story.asp?s=7434267

Local radio talk show host speaks about his dismissal
Updated: Nov 30, 2007 05:52 PM EST

By Lindsay English

LOUISVILLE (WAVE) -- He's been a staple on 84WHAS Radio for 14 years coming to you over the airwaves on "the Joe Elliott Show" for three hours every night. Thursday -- along with several other employees -- Joe Elliott fell victim to a corporate crackdown and was laid off. WAVE 3's Lindsay English spoke with Elliott.

A childhood ambition doesn't always survive into adulthood. That is not the case for Joe Elliott.
"Ever since I was a little kid, I wanted to be on the radio," says Elliott.

It is a medium where listening is more important than seeing. Elliott has been blind since birth.

"I couldn't do some of the things that some of the other kids could do. I could do a lot of things, but I couldn't do some of the things the other kids could do. I played a lot of records and played with the radio," Elliott says.

He says not much changed as he grew up.

"I think my perceptions of things as a little kid was pretty much true. It is a really neat way to make a living," he said.

For 14 years, he hosted "The Joe Elliott Show" every night from 9:00 p.m. to Midnight. But his run ended abruptly when he learned on Thursday that his show the night before was his last.

"This has all happened very quickly within the last 24 hours and my head is still spinning. I'm still trying to sort everything out," said Elliott.

Kelly Carls, Vice-President of Programming for Clear Channel here in Louisville told WAVE 3 that the decision to let Elliott go was a difficult one -- one that wasn't based on his on-air performance. Carls says it is a challenging time for the media business and demands to build an audience and generate revenue are high.

"This was a corporate decision. People from all over the country got laid off at Clear Channel stations this week," says Elliott.

With cutbacks, podcasts and satellite radio, Elliott says things aren't what they used to be.

"I think there's no question the radio business faces the most significant challenge it has ever faced, maybe since the 1950's. I don't think radio is ever going to go away."

Even if the ones who love it are forced to.

You will still be able to hear Joe Elliott on 84 WHAS Radio. He will continue his 8:30 a.m. to 12 Noon Sunday morning show -- at least for now.

Leave your message about Joe Elliott's dismissal from 84WHAS at http://boards.wave3.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/364107271/m/6781009462

User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:03 pm

robert szappanos wrote:looks like a major fire going on at the CJ........Also Joe will still be on Sunday Morning and his time slot during the week will be replaced by Mike Savage...Savage Nation.....actually a real good show but would rather have Joe continue...He was a big help in getting the truth out about the Library tax and helped to crush it....

Hats off to anyone who is willing to crush a library. Robert, can I come to your next book burning?
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:06 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Not only that just a day after the mayor announces the cutbacks...Joe uncovered the Granite curbs the mayor is installing downtown...this is while we are having a budget shortfall and people will have to be laid off....But that said I dont think the mayor had anything to do with that...they still have francine and she has been tuff on him lately also... :D :D

Hey genius, granite curbs are more economical than concrete. Oops, that doesn't comport with your militant anti-abramson tirades does it?

http://www.americangranitecurb.org/economiccomparison.htm
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:49 pm

O I see..Then why not pave all streets with concrete...That will last a lot longer then blacktop...The bottom line is if the city is in so much trouble with its budget...all of a sudden...seems like concrete would last for many years and it can be repaired...how do you repair granite? Looks as if you are happy with this Mayor no matter what he does....Guess you like unkeeped promises and lies... :D :D
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:53 pm

Library tax...It is very clear now that it was never about the Library tax for the Mayor....He was looking at the 16.5 million he gets in the cookie jar...Budget was fine prior to the vote...after all of a sudden there is a budget shortfall...gee did he expect the money so fast....He is a crook and a lier....period and if you cant see it with this recent flow of events....well I guess that Jerrys your man.... :D :D
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:15 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:Hey genius, granite curbs are more economical than concrete. Oops, that doesn't comport with your militant anti-abramson tirades does it?

The article you linked must be the source cited in the CJ op-ed piece yesterday. Apparently, that piece was written to dis a Republican council-person who complained about Metro's use of relatively high priced granite curbs vs concrete in the face of budget cuts elsewhere. Leave it to the CJ to spend research time on something as obscure and mundane as the life-cycle costs of curbing materials when it can be used to criticize a politician who does not share their views.

Also, note that the research you cite was conducted based on a survey of NYSDOT (that's the New York State Department of Transportation) resident maintenance engineers and the city engineers of Albany and Schenectady.

Concrete curbs reinforced with steel bars deteriorate due to corrosion of the embedded steel from deicing salts. Roadway icing conditions are much more severe in New York state than those in our milder climate, so the research cited by the CJ might not be applicable here. It served their purpose though.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:22 pm

robert szappanos wrote:O I see..Then why not pave all streets with concrete...That will last a lot longer then blacktop...The bottom line is if the city is in so much trouble with its budget...all of a sudden...seems like concrete would last for many years and it can be repaired...how do you repair granite? Looks as if you are happy with this Mayor no matter what he does....Guess you like unkeeped promises and lies... :D :D

I have no feelings about Abramson one way or another. I've been pretty vocal about my support for Armstrong. But, facts are facts. Concrete curbs in urban settings are a waste of money.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:29 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:Hey genius, granite curbs are more economical than concrete. Oops, that doesn't comport with your militant anti-abramson tirades does it?

The article you linked must be the source cited in the CJ op-ed piece yesterday. Apparently, that piece was written to dis a Republican council-person who complained about Metro's use of relatively high priced granite curbs vs concrete in the face of budget cuts elsewhere. Leave it to the CJ to spend research time on something as obscure and mundane as the life-cycle costs of curbing materials when it can be used to criticize a politician who does not share their views.

Jay, is that source the one cited by the C-J? Are you sure? If so, could it be because it's a fact that granite it a better material to use for curbs than concrete? As for the time it took the C-J to research that cite, if they did, it took me about 4 seconds to find it on Google. It wasn't hard to find cites to the fact that granite lasts longer than concrete.

Is it possible that not everything is a conspiracy against a republican?
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:49 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:Is it possible that not everything is a conspiracy against a republican?

Possible. But, in the case of the CJ, unlikely.

Ron Johnson wrote:...could it be because it's a fact that granite it a better material to use for curbs than concrete?

Not necessarily. The research you cite concludes traffic engineers in the harsh environment of upstate New York think it's a better material. As I said, concrete durability is a function of environment. Show me some research conducted in milder climes (such as Louisville's latitude), and we'll talk.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:47 am

Jay M. wrote:Possible. But, in the case of the CJ, unlikely.

Don't you think that's changed some under Gannett though, Jay? The Binghams rarely endorsed Republicans, but they did it on occasion. The new gang seems to me to have moved quite a bit closer to the middle of the road (not that I approve ;) ), mostly because that's USA Today's style: Don't irritate either side if you can help it.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:30 pm

Middle of the road....Man the previous owners must have been some real left wingers...
PreviousNext