Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

WHAS Radio loses more local programing

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:22 am

WHAS Radio has dumped Joe Elliot and several other folk in favor of more canned crap (syndicated programming). The Binghams should be appalled that the great local station has become programming from anywhere but here. I wish Joe well and hope he finds something locally that can kick 84's butt!!
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:37 am

Between the newspaper and the radio station, the Binghams are spinning at 3500 rpm.

WFPL - With one hand tied behind its back it kicks WHAS's butt .

'nuff said
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:56 am

Jay M. wrote:Between the newspaper and the radio station, the Binghams are spinning at 3500 rpm.

I'm not so sure. I loved the Binghams and respect their memory, and the way they used to run the newspaper is looking better all the time.

But they didn't <i>have</i> to sell, and they certainly didn't have to sell to Gannett. They knew what Gannett was when they made the decision to go with the highest bidder regardless of quality. They walked away with a few billion dollars to help ease their pain. It was the rest of the community that had to pay.

And I notice that Molly Bingham isn't loath to use the Gannettoids to publicize her movie from Iraq. I wish the younger generation of Binghams had had the class to walk away from that place and never cooperate with them in any way, shape or form.

Me, bitter? Naaah.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:34 am

This is the real problem with locals radio, TV, and newspapers being owned by national conglomerates. Why do they need to pay a movie critic in every city where they own a paper when they can hire one movie critic for the entire country. Same with editorials and other columnists. Now, it sounds like syndicated radio shows are going to do the same thing for WHAS.

WFPL is well positioned to become the top radio station in the city. Soon no one else will have any local programming.
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:59 am

I was extremely saddened to hear of the demise of Joe Elliott's talk show. He is a class act and his shows were always entertaining and thought provoking. I realize that Corporate America makes these kinds of decisions, but from the local perspective, this is one bad decision.

Joe, best of luck. With your talent, you will land on your feet. I, for one, will sorely miss your wit, intellect and baseball stories.

Rebecca
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: WHAS Radio loses more local programing

by TP Lowe » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:00 am

Suzi Bernert wrote:WHAS Radio has dumped Joe Elliot and several other folk in favor of more canned crap (syndicated programming). The Binghams should be appalled that the great local station has become programming from anywhere but here. I wish Joe well and hope he finds something locally that can kick 84's butt!!

I am mortified by this. Joe is one of my favorites. I'm still mad at them for booting Denton Randall. Where did you see this, Suzi? I must have missed the announcement.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: WHAS Radio loses more local programing

by Steve Shade » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:59 am

TP Lowe wrote:
Suzi Bernert wrote:WHAS Radio has dumped Joe Elliot and several other folk in favor of more canned crap (syndicated programming). The Binghams should be appalled that the great local station has become programming from anywhere but here. I wish Joe well and hope he finds something locally that can kick 84's butt!!

I am mortified by this. Joe is one of my favorites. I'm still mad at them for booting Denton Randall. Where did you see this, Suzi? I must have missed the announcement.

It was reported on WAVE 3 last night, but not confirmed by WHAS. However, his name has been dropped from the personalities section on WHAS84.
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

"LOCAL" flavor

by Bill Veneman » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:29 pm

You know, I miss the local flavor of the Louisville Times, WAVE970, The old WAKY radio when it was downtown and not in Etown, Channel 41 with Presto.....God I could go on.

It's so damned sad when everything is canned, uniform, and the same. What's the matter folks.....is this really better, or have we become so much atuned to the bottom line that we're all becoming media droids? :shock:

I'm sorry that WHAS has seen fit to cut costs. AM radio ain't what it used to be. Too Bad!!!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:31 pm

looks like a major fire going on at the CJ........Also Joe will still be on Sunday Morning and his time slot during the week will be replaced by Mike Savage...Savage Nation.....actually a real good show but would rather have Joe continue...He was a big help in getting the truth out about the Library tax and helped to crush it....
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:40 pm

The 'Ville Voice is providing decent coverage of Elliott's firing. Also here.

This homogenization of local radio and in-effect stifling of the open airing of local issues really, really sucks.

Joe Elliott opposed the Library Tax. Part of me wonders if the mayor for life called in some chips.
Last edited by Steve Magruder on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:59 pm

Not only that just a day after the mayor announces the cutbacks...Joe uncovered the Granite curbs the mayor is installing downtown...this is while we are having a budget shortfall and people will have to be laid off....But that said I dont think the mayor had anything to do with that...they still have francine and she has been tuff on him lately also... :D :D
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:09 pm

robert szappanos wrote:Not only that just a day after the mayor announces the cutbacks...Joe uncovered the Granite curbs the mayor is installing downtown...this is while we are having a budget shortfall and people will have to be laid off....But that said I dont think the mayor had anything to do with that...they still have francine and she has been tuff on him lately also... :D :D

One can make an argument for granite curbs, as they last a lot longer than concrete, but yes, the coincidence you state is rather curious.

Also, if the mayor wanted to get rid of some opposition, he is an intelligent guy and probably realizes he can't get rid of all of this critics simultaneously, so he chips away bit by bit. OK, maybe there isn't a conspiracy here, but here lately, this mayoral administration is increasingly coming off as rather rotten, and I almost wouldn't put anything past them any longer.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:25 pm

I agree with you Steve.... :D
User