Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Counseling

no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

Counseling

by Sonja W » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:28 pm

This is a shot in the dark, but this forum has provided advice on everything from gutter helmets to cancer surgeons, so I'll give it a try.

A friend of mine is in need of counseling, either for herself alone or for her and her husband. There is an alcohol-abuse issue involved. They have two small children and limited financial resources. They are devoted parents and fine people who need help to deal with this challenge.

So, first, can anyone highly recommend a counselor who would be suited to their problem? And second, is this counselor able to offer his/her services on a sliding scale? Qualification #1 is the most important. #2 would be bonus, but not essential. I'm just hoping that the cost doesn't dissuade them from pursuing outside help.

Thank you for any suggestions.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:31 pm

You might want to check with your local Pastor or Priest...They may be of help or assist you in getting help....Good Luck....
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:51 pm

While I cannot recommend a particular counselor, they may need to look at some options regarding the expense. If either are employed, check to see if the employer has an Employee Assistance program. The other options are through several of the larger churches, a U of L (at the Ambulatory Care Building) clinic, JADAC, Family Health Care facilities or through 7 Counties. They may be able to go through their health insurance and pay a co-pay. If the children are in school, they can recieve counseling through the school. If the school has a Family Resource Center, that could be a source for information and referral for the entire family.

This a hard row to hoe, I hope your friend will find what she and the family need. Please encourage her to go, even if the spouse will not, and to please make sure the children get counseling, too. I was raised by an alcoholic step-parent, and the effects on the children can be subtle, but devestating. She is lucky to have a firend who cares enough to try to help!
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:02 pm

I believe that the Kilgore Samaritan Counseling Center, 3702 Brownsboro Road, 897-5305 meets all of your requirements. They are currently in the midst of establishing a website but if you go to http://kilgorecounseling.com/staff.html you at least can read the credentials of the staff.
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:10 pm

Southeast Christian Church provides counseling to members and nonmembers. While I've never taken advantage of the community counseling center, I've heard wonderful things. Below is the link to the center's website. It lists the prices, but I'm not sure if they are considered expensive or not.

http://www.southeastchristian.org/relat ... px?id=5394
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:07 am

This man was a hugh help while the members of our family were going through some very difficult times with another family member with an alcohol problem.

THACKER B THOMAS
1326 S 3RD ST
LOUISVILLE, KY 40208
(502) 637-2434
KENTUCKY PSYCHOANALYTIC INST

Suzi Bernert's advice was excellent as well. That'll give you a place to start. I don't mean to minimize the help a pastor or the clergy can give but I think their help needs to be in addition to a professional trained in the field of physiological trauma. Once therapy starts you never know what will be at the root of a problem and it's a good idea to have the specialized training there. Few clergy have that sort of training, it's simply not their field.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Paula B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:59 pm

counselor

by Paula B » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:06 am

I would highly recommend Don Stokes as a counselor w/ addiction issues. His number is 459-6675

Our family has been very fortunate to have been able to get through several awful events w/ his help.

Another person I would call is Kasey Brady, her number is 584-1369, she also has a vast amount of experience w/ alcohol and addictions.

If you aren't involved in al-anon, please check out a meeting. They are free, and there are meetings everywhere in the city. Great support for family & friends of alcoholics & addicts. I would encourage this in addition to private counseling.

One more, if you ever just need to talk, you can call the crisis & information line 24/7 589-4313,

hope this helps-- good luck to you and your family.
paula
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

Counseling

by Sonja W » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:10 pm

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I would feel best directing my friend to a non-faith-affiliated professional who specializes in marital/alcohol issues. I don't know my friend's husband all that well (the one with the problem), but my impression is that his upbringing has not made him open to seeking outside help. She is, though, and maybe that will get the ball rolling.

Thanks again to everyone for your referrals and for taking the time to respond.
no avatar
User

Barb T.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm

South End

by Barb T. » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:16 pm

Hi, I am a retired Clinical Social Worker (Psychotherapist). I just read this thread.
Treatment for Alcohol/Other drug addictions is very specialized and sad to say, damage can be done when the Therapist believes they know their subject and how to treat it when they really don't. There are, however, many fine Practitioners who work with Addictions. As with any treatment focus, the family needs to be involved, not as a matter of "fault" but as part of the system. The Alcoholic/Addict would hardly be thrilled to become involved in treatment aimed to remove their drug of choice so it is wise for the family/friends/co-workers to get involved themselves. The primary hope is that the family system will change and maybe that will cause/force the Alcoholic/Addict to change, too. If they do not change, the family members still can learn how to live healthy lives, themselves.
It's been a few years since I practiced, and addictions was my (partial)focus for just a couple years, but JADAC was the best in the area...at one time. I hope it still is.
The Counselor needs to be familiar with 12-Step Programs in case that is needed, and it usually is. They need to very familiar with Family Systems. They need to care in a way that shows the family they do care but often that means the Therapist must be very firm. Sorry this is so long. My only brother just died on Halloween of complications from alcoholism. By that time, he had lost everything.