Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Help needed! (removal of lipstick from cat hair)

by Gayle DeM » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:51 pm

Help!! Can anyone help with successful hints of how to remove lipstick from cat hair and most other surfaces? Have tried the Internet suggestions with limited success! When I have calmed down, and if anyone if interested I will explain details.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:09 pm

Man, I'd love to hear that story! At the risk of sounding like a cleaning geek....I do pretty well with stuff because of a heavy chemistry background in college. Don't use dry cleaning fluid on her/his nibs. First, put a bit of dishwashing liquid and water on cloth and rub gently. If it remains, dampen the area and put some cornmeal on it. Allow to dry, brush it out. Repeat if necessary. Now.....depending on where this is on his nibs it may or may not be easy. You can also remove with mineral oil, but that leaves you with a greasy cat. Oh man, I could really make this post X rated, tee hee.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Help needed! (removal of lipstick from cat hair)

by Steve Shade » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:14 am

Gayle DeM wrote:Help!! Can anyone help with successful hints of how to remove lipstick from cat hair and most other surfaces? Have tried the Internet suggestions with limited success! When I have calmed down, and if anyone if interested I will explain details.

WD-40 will remove grease (which includes lipstick) from most surfaces. Not for the cat as it is petrol based

A product call Goof Off will also remove lipstick stains. Some limits on what it can be used on, mainly plastics. Definitely not the cat as I believe the active ingredient is xylene. Available at most any hardware store.

Agree that mineral oil may well clean the cat. Can wash with soap after getting lipstick off. Good luck on washing cat ... HA

Also interested in hearing how disaster occurred.
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:51 am

In my experience of getting all kinds of stuff off of work uniforms, I recommend dish detergent to cut almost anything with a petroleum base. Dawn seems to work the best. Hey, they use it on water fowl in oil spills!

I would love to see a picture of the cat and get the story! :D
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Bill D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Louisville, KY

by Bill D » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:37 am

DO NOT use wd-40 or dish detergent(I love them both in a work environment)Suzi ,water fowl dont lick themselves. As a cat lover i would recommend not allowing anyone kissing your cat w/lipstick on.Arthurs bath.to.bath mitts may help .Cats want to clean themselves but sometimes they need help. You may get a few scratches but it's worth it if you love your cat. Sad as it may sound I would like to hear/see more details. Best of luck, it will be easier than trying to give it a pill.
Bill D
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Shade » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:19 am

Bill D wrote:DO NOT use wd-40 or dish detergent(I love them both in a work environment)Suzi ,water fowl dont lick themselves. As a cat lover i would recommend not allowing anyone kissing your cat w/lipstick on.Arthurs bath.to.bath mitts may help .Cats want to clean themselves but sometimes they need help. You may get a few scratches but it's worth it if you love your cat. Sad as it may sound I would like to hear/see more details. Best of luck, it will be easier than trying to give it a pill.

You might note that my post on WD 40 was for the other things she mentioned .. and stated specifically not the cat.

no avatar
User

Bill D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:13 pm

Louisville, KY

cat goo

by Bill D » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:39 am

Steven Shade
Don't know you ,but always like your input. No offense intentented about lipstick on cats topic. I saw WD-40 and freaked out before seeing whole message. Being born under Leo I feel a connected to felines.Peace and love to all dog,cat and food lovers
Bill D
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

by Rebecca Clark » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:25 am

I'd call your vet and ask what they think would be best. As previously mentioned, the cat is going to clean any area you clean, so it's best to use a substance that will not be harmful to kitty.

There is a product called "MalAcetic Otic" made by DermaPet that is an ear/skin cleanser for animals. My vet (Dr. Jones at the Cat Clinic ... a wonderful office!) carries it; I would think your vet should have it, too. I've never tried it on lipstick, but it cleans other issues!

And yes, we're going to have to hear this story ....
no avatar
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:31 am

One of our cats got into a floor that was recently painted with oil based paint. The vet recommended washing the cat in the tub with johnsons baby shampoo and rinsing very well. Put a towel down in the tub so the cat has somthing to grab hold of, and a wash cloth to scrub it in.. This worked well for us.
no avatar
User

Pam G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:19 pm

Downtown days/Northeast nights

Cleaning Cat

by Pam G » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:48 pm

Did you try makeup remover?

I had a long hair cat that decided to lie down on some fresh black top and then roll in mulch. We had to shave him.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Help needed! (removal of lipstick from cat hair)

by Steve Shade » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:55 pm

Gayle DeM wrote:Help!! Can anyone help with successful hints of how to remove lipstick from cat hair and most other surfaces? Have tried the Internet suggestions with limited success! When I have calmed down, and if anyone if interested I will explain details.

I know a number of people have tried to help.

.......... NOW let us find out what happened ... nosyness has to overcome ..
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

lipstick

by Heather Y » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:21 pm

OXYCLEAN!
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:35 pm

I had an accident with Gorilla glue two years ago on Halloween. They were wonderful when I called customer service and advised me of many lovely short haircuts....
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:43 pm

Sorry, my computer was down. So here’s the story:

My older son, his wife, four kids, and her mother had joined me for Thanksgiving festivities. Notice that there are four adults, all of whom are experienced at raising children. The two-year old was put down in the master bedroom for an afternoon nap. She napped and napped and napped. Surely, one of us should have gotten suspicious. But no! We contented ourselves saying, she surely must have been tired. (I could digress at this point and regale you other storied on “long naps", but I don’t wish to digress.) Finally, around five, my daughter-in-law went in to check on her. It seems that my granddaughter must have been awake for some time, for she had gone into the master bath and climbed up on the vanity, where she found two tubes of lipstick. I guess, since she likes to draw with crayons, she decided they were akin to crayons. She adorned the mirror, the doors to the bathroom, totally, covered the remote control, must have dropped on or both tubes on the carpet at some point, but saved her best efforts for the cat who had also been napping in his heated bed that is in the master bedroom.

Now my cat is laid back, but I didn’t realize how laid back, for never once did we hear any noise or meows coming from the mb and all of the adults were in and out of the great room which abuts the door to the mb. (During this time the other children were upstairs in the playroom.) So there was my cat, my usually solid black cat – now covered from mid-back to the near end of his tail with lipstick. My only guess is that my granddaughter had been putting on the crayon in small downward strokes, so I can even imagine the cat purring.

I did get the cat cleaned up with Dawn on a damp rag followed by a plain damp rag to remove the soap. He purred the whole time I cleaned him up. My daughter-in-law got the crayon off the mirrors, doors, and remote control. Stanley Steemer is coming tomorrow to work on the carpet.

Ain’t life grand? :lol:

P.S. Sorry for posting this on the "Lousiville Restaurant Forum" instead of the "All About Louisville Forum," but I wanted immediate ideas and help and figured that more people would be reading LRF.

Last, but not least, thank you for all your help. :D
Last edited by Gayle DeM on Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

OMG

by Bill Veneman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:47 pm

Gayle, I can just see you standing there, mouth open, hands on hips, not knowing what to say........I'm chuckling to myself with that image.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
Next