Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Cell Phone - In an Emergency

User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Cell Phone - In an Emergency

by Steve P » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Given that severe weather season is almost upon us, I was going though our emergency kit the other day checking flashlights, etc. and (among other things) replacing batteries that had been pilfered to power Wii remotes over the past several months. In the process I thought to pass along this little tidbit of information that many people are unaware of...

That is the Federal law requires that ALL cell phones be capable of dialing 911 Emergency Services -regardless- of the contractual status of the phone. Many emergency services professionals recommend that you take that old cell phone you were going to donate (or recycle) and make it a part of your home or car emergency kit.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Cell Phone - In an Emergency

by Carla G » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:42 am

Extremely handy info. Thanks for the tip Steve!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:25 am

Handy indeed ... all I'd add is to make sure the battery works, and recharge it now and then. 8)
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:58 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Handy indeed ... all I'd add is to make sure the battery works, and recharge it now and then. 8)

I was slightly early this year but I generally change/charge/check all battery operated devices (smoke detectors, flashlights, etc) on -both- "Fall Back" and "Spring Forward" days...Gives me peace of mind.

BTW, speaking of batteries, not sure if anyone has noticed but the days of the good ol' no brainer battery changes are over...Many sizes of batteries, although sized the same, now come in a variety of voltages, etc. I've found several instances lately where a device specifically said -not- to use a particular type of battery (NiMh, Lithium, etc). This seems to be particularly common with high tech devices and the new LED flashlights...it pays to RTFM.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio