Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

The Dem Reggae Bon guy is in Old Louisville

by Jessica Devine » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:44 pm

I know there's been a thread about pan handlers in the past. I think I've even mentioned this guy before. Back in 1999, he approached me at BW3s in St. Matthews. He said that his car broke down and his family was stuck on the Watterson. He needed money for a tow and would get me in to see his band Dem Reggae Bon at Phoenix Hill. I luckily didn't have any cash on me.

A few years ago, he came into the Red Lounge and tried the same exact story on my sister while she was bartending, but this time his family was stuck on 64. Remembering the first time, I ran him off.

Well, he just showed up at my office in Old Louisville asking some ladies that were out front smoking for $11 for a tow because his family was stuck on 65. He also mentioned the Dem Reggae Bon thing.

They came upstairs to get money and told me about it. I went down there and ran him off again.

I just want everyone to be aware that he's back. Don't let him take advantage of your kindness until he at least comes up with a new pitiful story!
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:59 pm

While there are some people that are really in need out there...There are a lot of them that do this as a living or a side job to get easy money....I saw something on the news where there is a card that lists all of the places they could go for help both shelter and food...I wish I could remember what tv news it was on...just a few days ago...but this is something that you can give them instead of money and help them find help....or better yet lime I did once...offered to take them to the wayside mission..but the person i offered thios to did not want to go....
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:08 pm

I would be all for that except this is just a pathetic scam that he's been trying to pull for almost 10 years. I just find it all so amazing. There's a guy that stands between the Chase and the post office on Highland and Baxter. I've emptied out my change purse for this guy. Yet, I see him quite often with an overflowing cart at Kroger.

Also, I would never feel comfortable taking a stranger in my car anywhere.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:17 pm

There is s guy downtown who has gotten really aggressive. He startled me walking to my car late one night, and he got nasty when I said no. He is one of the most often arrested persons in Louisville.
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:24 pm

I had someone standing behind me when I confronted the man. You never know these days...
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:26 pm

I offer to buy them food but not money and that is normally refused. We have heard the tow story twice in the last two weeks - no offer of a concert, though.
MissChele
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:31 pm

I don't even know that he's actually in the band. He sure is making those guys look bad if he isn't.
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:13 pm

The guy who's been working a similar scam in the Legal Arts Building says he is a minister and has a church van that's run out of gas. He's tried to hit us twice.

Lois
no avatar
User

Ray W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:30 am

Lyndon

by Ray W. » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:21 pm

Who was it that said...

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day...Teach a man how to fish and he eats for a lifetime"

Which reminds me...Many businesses are hiring folks right now for the Christmas shopping season...
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:55 am

Ray W. wrote:Who was it that said...

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day...Teach a man how to fish and he eats for a lifetime"

I've always prefered this saying:
Give a man a beer and he'll waste an afternoon...teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:09 pm

Oh my gosh, I thought I was the only one who fell for the "Dem Reggae Bon" guy. He hit me up twice. The first time I fell for it. The second time I told him he had just hit me up two weeks before. He vehemently denied knowing what I was talking about. This was about six or seven years ago.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:30 pm

Now I wish I would've snapped a picture of him with my camera phone so that I can remind him of our previous meeting the next time we come across each other. I'd love to find out where he works and use his story on him. By the way, he is in the band.
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

He is the band\\\\

by Suzi Bernert » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:22 pm

"By the way, he is in the band."

Now, THAT makes the band look bad!! :roll:
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:29 pm

Jessica Hardison wrote:Now I wish I would've snapped a picture of him with my camera phone so that I can remind him of our previous meeting the next time we come across each other. I'd love to find out where he works and use his story on him. By the way, he is in the band.

a quick google search reveals:

you wanna pick the guy out of a lineup?

DemReggaeBon.com

Dem Reggae Bon on MySpace.com

...hope this helps.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:37 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:you wanna pick the guy out of a lineup?
DemReggaeBon.com

Or send a link to this thread to DemReggaeBon@Yahoo.com and invite them to comment ...
Next