Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Can anyone make something happen at 5th 3rd Bank?

by Leah S » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:52 am

Here's the back story.
Our gardener is a slightly disabled man of limited education and little self confidence and even less assertiveness. His "girlfriend" took his ATM card out of his wallet along with the PIN. Why was the PIN in his wallet you ask? Because of his disability he can't memorize things. She took the last $20 out of his checking account so now he's incurring fees of $6 per day. He'snow $80 overdrawn.

He lives on SSI disability and the small amounts of money he picks up doing yards in the neighborhood.

DH took him to the bank this morning to explain things and try to get them to wipe out the fees.

According to the branch assistant manager, "The computer adds the charges on automatically. I can't stop it. All the decisions are made in Cincinnati."

So, does anyone know anyone that can talk this bank into having a conscience?

Also, yet another reason to do business locally.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:59 pm

That's really unfortunate.

Good luck with the whole bank-having-a-conscience thing. Once they have your money, they could care less.

They'll probably say since he had the pin with his card in his wallet that they are not responsible for any losses he incurred, whether he is disabled or not.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:45 pm

When he has his next SSI check, have him open an account at Stockyards, where human beings make decisions instead of computers.

Forget about the $80 in fees he "owes" 5/3.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:19 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:When he has his next SSI check, have him open an account at Stockyards, where human beings make decisions instead of computers.

Forget about the $80 in fees he "owes" 5/3.

Good advice in general, although I'd nominate <b>Eclipse Bank</b>, new and locally owned (and well recommended by members of this forum). We've moved all our personal and business accounts <i>from</i> Stockyards <i>to</i> Eclipse because Eclipse is operating today on the neighborly, customer-friendly basis that Stockyards did better a generation ago than, in my opinion, they're doing now that a younger generation is hot to expand and grow into the bank equivalent of a ch- ch- chain.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:29 pm

I second for Stock Yards Bank....We have had them since 1994 and no problems at all.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:39 pm

It is still theft - regardless of where he keeps his pin! A friend of mine in college had a similiar situation where her boyfriend stole her debit card and took money from her account. Theft is theft!

That being said - I can't stand Fifth Third and I think they have some CRAZY policies.

I hope you are able to find some help for his situation!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:52 pm

We bank with a credit union and couldn't be happier. But to complicate our gardener's situation further, he lives near 4 th and Central and doesn't drive. A bank has to be in the neighborhood or an easy bus ride. When you have few resources, everything gets more complicated.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:06 pm

It couldn't hurt to send the story to Charla Young and see what she can do.

Charla Young, WAVE 3 Troubleshooter
Email: cyoung@wave3.com
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:44 pm

Dunno if I can offer much help, but I do have several friends and clients who work in the upper stratospheres at Fifth Third. I've emailed asking whether they could offer any suggestions as to whom one might contact there to help.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:45 pm

Thank you to whomever sent this story to a local VP at 5/3. She has contacted me and we may get this resolved.

My faith in humanity is on the road to being restored.

Thanks! This Board is the best!

Of course, I will keep you all updated.
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:33 pm

Cool. She's a good person. I know she'll do her best.... Assuming it was my contact. If not, then it's good to know the network works.
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:44 pm

I would hope they would handle it like a theft. Just like if your account number is stolen on the internet and someone drains your account. Maybe he/you should file a police report. Perhaps that would get the bank to take a closer look.
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:25 pm

Leann C wrote:It couldn't hurt to send the story to Charla Young and see what she can do.

Charla Young, WAVE 3 Troubleshooter
Email: cyoung@wave3.com

Yeah, I sent Charla a story back in May and didn't get a response until 2 weeks ago and it wasn't even from her. When I say response, I don't mean they were willing to help--it was more that they wouldn't help. Guess my story wasn't breaking news!
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:37 pm

Jeff,
Our gardener is filing a police report. Although the theft was only $20. The bank fees are $80. That's a lot of money to him.
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:43 am

Hopefully the report will carry some weight with the bank and he will get the fees waived. Good luck!
Next