Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Does Louisville Need More Highways? - NY Times

by JustinHammond » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:29 pm

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Re: Does Louisville Need More Highways? - NY Times

by Brad Keeton » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Great article. Thanks for sharing, Justin. I'm in pretty solid agreement with most of the author's points.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:22 pm

Total agreement with his conclusion: The downtown bridge part of the deal is wrong-headed and counterproductive and will make somebody way too much money to make them stop. But who?

Nitpicking, I see quite a few minor glitches in the descriptive and color stuff, the sure sign of a reporter trying to spice up a piece with local color that he doesn't have quite right. Please don't ask why I am so familiar with this genre. :oops:
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:37 am

More cement plus tolls forever. Horrible idea.

The ring road bridge is completely logical, and should funnel traffic away from downtown.

But the downtown project is a mistake. Mayor Fischer's support of it may end up being his legacy. But why in the world do we want to go in the wrong direction by adding cement instead of green space? And by tolling the bridge, we're building a wall between louisville and southern indiana, when we should be reaching out to make it more unified.

The rest of the country can see it is a mistake, and it hurts Louisville's reputation as a result. The young educated people who we claim to want to attract probably aren't that attracted to big new highways in the middle of their city.

Public transportation anyone? Or is that off the table? Ridiculous.

Well, that's my two cents.
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Joe Hayden

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:54 pm

Louisville, Kentucky

by Joe Hayden » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:33 pm

I'm of the belief that the East End bridge needs to be constructed - Stat - before another bridge is added downtown. Not only will the downtown bridge be aesthetically unpleasant, it will continue to draw traffic through the center of town. Diverting the traffic from I-64 and I-71 North or South first, then making further changes seems to be the logical route.
"Be kind... everyone you encounter is fighting battles you have no awareness of." ~Plato~

There are only 10 types of people in this world - Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

http://www.joehaydenrealtor.com