Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

New owner for The Voice

User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

New owner for The Voice

by carla griffin » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:02 am

Don't know if it's been mentioned here yet or now but it seems that Jonathan Blue has bought The Voice. (maybe sometime this past summer)
It'll be interesting to see what kind of plans he has for it but I doubt it will remain the same cozy little neighborhood paper that's it's been for years.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: New owner for The Voice

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:21 am

carla griffin wrote:Don't know if it's been mentioned here yet or now but it seems that Jonathan Blue has bought The Voice. (maybe sometime this past summer)
It'll be interesting to see what kind of plans he has for it but I doubt it will remain the same cozy little neighborhood paper that's it's been for years.

I'm not sure I mentioned it, but yes, ownership of The Voice changed hands maybe six months ago? It's been a while.

It's so far back in the past that few people remember it, but I worked at the Voice when I was just a youth, before going to The Louisville Times. At that point it was also under a new owner, a guy who was going to turn it into a serious, hard-hitting, investigative paper that would turn the East End upside down and grow into a daily as the suburbs grew.

It was a lot of fun for a few years, and we really did make some waves in St. Matthews, but the guy burned through his money in just a few years and made a lot of enemies.

Of course, that was (gasp) thirty years ago, and the 'burbs have changed a lot. So has the competition, with a much weaker daily newspaper downtown now. So maybe Blue could do something like that and make it work.

I'll have to say, though, that based on my very limited contact with the one or two monthly dining columns and one monthly wine column I provide for them, I haven't noticed any major changes from where I sit.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

No Changes

by Heather Y » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:43 pm

I don't think there is a fear of JB burning through HIS money too quickly, enemies......? Enemies would come from the bigger fish that he fries.

Jon will probably leave the daily grind to the staff, and add suggestions to bring it up a notch or two.

IMHO
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Impellizzeri's Pizza

by Wes P » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:16 am

It changed hands May 1, 2007.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:31 am

Wes P wrote:It changed hands May 1, 2007.

My "six months ago" guesstimate was pretty good, then.

Thanks, Wes!