Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:15 pm

:D Thanks Dave :D
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:48 am

Roger A. Baylor wrote:
Bedford Crenshaw wrote:
Whatever it takes to keep the USA safe, is what we should do.

That's scarier than anything a terrorist might do, because it is open ended.

Do we nuke first?

Do we commit the same crimes as the "enemy" because we're right and they're wrong?

Where does it end, Bedford?

Fascism.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:53 am

Ron Johnson wrote:Fascism.

And we're getting dangerously close.

Fourteen more months!
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:Fascism.

And we're getting dangerously close.

Fourteen more months!
We are already there...the Jack Boots are just cleverly disguised as Penny Loafers!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:21 pm

"Trust us, we know what is best for you . . ."

"Dissent is not patriotic"

:shock:
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

Still wondering..

by carla griffin » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:55 am

Up front let me go ahead and say I have never been in the military (although I have family that have for many years on one side and family members that served time in prison for NOT serving - ministers - on the other).
Having said that..
For me the question remains not IF we torture or don't but rather WHY would we torture? My understanding from Mr McCain - and I would think he would know - is that torture is ineffective as an information gathering technique. People will tell you anything you want to hear to make the torture go away. Torture only serves certain purposes. One is to inflict pain on an enemy and establish control, and the other is to exact revenge. Neither seem to be a reflection of Christian attitude that this political regime claims to hold so dear. Neither purpose extracts accurate, dependable information necessary for any war effort. If that's the case why do it? I think it harkens back to those original two purposes I mentioned earlier.
As an American citizen, I want my country to reflect a nation of courage, honor and dignity. want to be able to point to the USA as the standard for what's right, what's good and what people can do when reason and sensibility is in control and not greed or imperialism. We used to be that but now it seems we're just another nation doing whatever it takes to shove ourselves and our beliefs on others because we claim God is on our side. We sound like every other nation ruled by zealotry.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
Previous