Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Alanon-like help?

User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Alanon-like help?

by RonnieD » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:44 pm

Can anyone point me to a group like Alanon, but not religious and not super culty? Does such a thing exist? I've looked about online and most groups that I find are either very faith-based or use words like "brother Tom" that I am really not comfortable with. I just need a support group not all the church and group-think.

Thoughts?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Alanon-like help?

by GaryF » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:47 am

Ronnie, AlAnon itself is not at all faith based, but as each group is a autonomous some choose to put a focus on faith.
I'd call the AlAnon intergroup 502-458-1234 and tell them you are looking for a group with less focus on faith. Many cities have AlAnon meetings for non believers.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:51 pm

GaryF wrote:Ronnie, AlAnon itself is not at all faith based, but as each group is a autonomous some choose to put a focus on faith.
I'd call the AlAnon intergroup 502-458-1234 and tell them you are looking for a group with less focus on faith. Many cities have AlAnon meetings for non believers.

I am hopeful that you are right, but this local website http://www.kyal-anon.org/12traditions.html gives me a different impression. The main Alanon site is less overt. Even so, there are some of those Twelve Steps and Traditions that have less to do with coping with an alcoholic person and more to do with converting to some kind of religion.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Not sure about the local alanon but I have attended GA meetings as a compulsive gambler and I believe any of the groups that involve the 12 step process are similar,The term "Higher Power" is refered to frequentlybut they also say or that of your choosing.
I can see where it could be uncomfortable for some folks. I don't attend the meetings anymore I didnt feel they were right for me but I have not gambled for a year and 4 months. I still follow a lot of what I learned. They also provided support for my hubby when he attended with me .
Hope you find the support you need.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:16 am

Ronnie,
Did you check the Louisville alanon inter group? Their site seems pretty non-religious, and as Gary suggested each individual group will have it's own character. Www.louisvilleaa.org.
All the best-
Deb
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks all.

I went to a wonderful Alanon meeting yesterday at the Crescent Hill Library. Very welcoming, very supporting and ultimately very helpful. I would strongly recommend to anyone in my position (hesitant about the amount of religious overtones) to give it a shot.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY