Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

courier online

no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

courier online

by Heather L » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:26 pm

I can no longer access the courier journal online.....

Well, slight correction, I can go to the home page. I can not click through to read any articles though. And i am definitely NOT paying a $13 monthly subscription fee to do so.....

oh well! I understand these are very hard times to be in the newspaper biz, but I am wondering how many people will pay for an online subscription?
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: courier online

by Nimbus Couzin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:11 am

I doubt anyone will pay. With all respect to the writers there, the paper is really a rag. I don't agree with editorial policy, or most of their content decisions. In short, I have no reason to read it. They basically skim over a few day-old news stories, so maybe it could be useful in the way that "headline news" is useful.

The internet - and by that I mean the thousands of instantly available news sources from around the world - have basically crushed print media like the CJ. But they were in decline long ago. RIP. Oh, they're not dead yet. But RIP anyway.

(last thought on the matter is that they should just put all of their eggs in one basket and focus entirely on local news. By getting rid of everything else, maybe (???) they can develop some in-depth and interesting content. But maybe I'm just a news snob. Google News is a great starting point, especially after you specialize it).
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:21 am

But... where will we get our fishwrap, window washing cloths, birdcage liner, and paper hats?

Alas, another grey lady goes down
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:58 am

Now that sports has been gutted, I don't know what they have left that is remotely proprietary.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:10 pm

Gary Guss wrote:But... where will we get our fishwrap, window washing cloths, birdcage liner

Do what I do...Grab half a dozen copies of LEO off the rack once a month, you'll never be without fish wrap again..
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:34 pm

Looks like there isn't an outpouring of CJ support here.

But, again, there is a need for some kind of local news agency. Public radio has really stepped up in that area. I do feel there is a market for that focus.

Personally, I just have fun writing letters to the editor. I don't write that many (not many for me is probably a lifetime's worth for most people), but it is nice to have a public forum to express opinions. So kudos to them for offering that. Actually, thinking about writing something up right now...
Dr. Nimbus Couzin