Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Antique clock repair?

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Antique clock repair?

by Robin Garr » Mon May 28, 2012 5:48 pm

Returning to a topic we haven't done for a while: Have any of you had recent good experience with a reliable worker on antique clocks? A few years ago I went to Hunter (just behind Clifton's Pizza), and he eventually got the job done, but I wasn't entirely satisfied. I think he may have moved, too. This is not a big old grandfather clock but a brass Seth Thomas mantel clock, vintage 1880s, an old family item that I'd like to keep ... And keep working. Crescent Hill, Clifton, Highlands, St. Matthews would be ideal, but I'll take it anywhere in the metro.
User

Lisa Stephenson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Jeffersonville, IN

Re: Antique clock repair?

by Lisa Stephenson » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am

I believe that Endris Jewelers in New Albany repairs clocks...or they used to.
http://www.endrisjewelers.com/resources.html
314 Pearl Street
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:36 am

You might want to visit Jon Alexander. http://www.jonalexandercmw.com/

I don't know whether he does clock repair, but he is without doubt the best watchmaker in the area, with a rather irascible temperament.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:40 am

Margie L wrote:... with a rather irascible temperament.

I took a watch to this gentleman once and was exposed to his irascible temperament, which seemed to come to him as naturally as breathing without as good a reason. I'm disinclined to undergo the experience again, even after many years. But thanks for the suggestion, Margie. I'm not shooting the messenger. :)

(By the way, I'd say Mr. Jekel at the watch shop bearing his family name on Fifth Street downtown qualifies as an excellent watchmaker, and he is a pleasant, kindly gentleman.)
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:55 am

LOL, Thanks for the alternate suggestion Robin. A good watchmaker is hard to find.

I have had too many nice watches messed up by things as simple as battery replacement.