Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Movie Theater planned for Mall St. Matthews

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:13 am

Insider Louisville is reporting that Cinemark is planning to build a theater at the Mall St. Matthews.

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2012/ ... s-complex/

While I'm always glad to see development in Louisville...I am going to have to just stop going to Shelbyville Rd. altogether.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Movie Theater planned for Mall St. Matthews

by Steve P » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:58 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:I am going to have to just stop going to Shelbyville Rd. altogether.

Ehhh-hemmm...That line forms behind moi.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Pete O

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

by Pete O » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:18 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Insider Louisville is reporting that Cinemark is planning to build a theater at the Mall St. Matthews.

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2012/ ... s-complex/

While I'm always glad to see development in Louisville...I am going to have to just stop going to Shelbyville Rd. altogether.

Boy, I sure hope this doesn't negatively impact the traffic patterns or stellar parking at the mall :roll:
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Since I think the odds of me getting my wife to stop shopping at Whole Paycheck are about nil, I'm going to have to insist that we start going around 9:30 PM on Tuesday nights. Might be the only time to get down that way without getting snarled in ridiculous traffic.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:48 pm

Ugh...can't they build it, oh, somewhere near Bardstown Road and the Watterson?
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:54 pm

I'm all for snarling traffic in that area. Keep the craziness in one location.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:56 pm

I don't know. There's definitely congestion in the area sometimes, but it seems way overstated, IMO. Add 15 minutes to your trip if you are going through that area between 530 and 615pm.

Other than that, there are definitely some stoplights, but the problem area is like a mile and a half tops, and MAYBE a 5 minute inconvenience.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care for traffic and have thrown many a tantrum in that area, but in all reality, barring rush hour, it really isn't too bad.

In all reality, I'd say that Bardstown Road traffic or Downtown traffic, and sometimes even the other side of Frankfort Avenue traffic is at least as bad during peak hours.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Dan E wrote:I don't know. There's definitely congestion in the area sometimes, but it seems way overstated, IMO. Add 15 minutes to your trip if you are going through that area between 530 and 615pm.

Other than that, there are definitely some stoplights, but the problem area is like a mile and a half tops, and MAYBE a 5 minute inconvenience.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care for traffic and have thrown many a tantrum in that area, but in all reality, barring rush hour, it really isn't too bad.

In all reality, I'd say that Bardstown Road traffic or Downtown traffic, and sometimes even the other side of Frankfort Avenue traffic is at least as bad during peak hours.

+1
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Dan E wrote:I don't know. There's definitely congestion in the area sometimes, but it seems way overstated, IMO. Add 15 minutes to your trip if you are going through that area between 530 and 615pm.

+1

-1. Sorry, but I live at the far end of the Highlands and take Bardstown/Baxter all the way in to work downtown, and traffic never backs up like it does on Shelbyville Road, and at odd times. Just my opinion, of course, but somewhat informed by the fact that I also spent a summer living on Bowling Blvd., so I've experiened both areas as a resident.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Since I think the odds of me getting my wife to stop shopping at Whole Paycheck are about nil, I'm going to have to insist that we start going around 9:30 PM on Tuesday nights. Might be the only time to get down that way without getting snarled in ridiculous traffic.

Try it around 9 AMish on a Saturday morning if you're up and moving that early. Shelbyville Road traffic is light, and Whole Foods is pretty clear. It starts to get crowded around 10.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:17 pm

I drive it almost everyday and have no real problems. Barring the holidays (forget about it), the most it takes is 10 - 15 minutes to get the 2.5 miles from the malls to the BBC/Molly's area. The greatest congestion is from St Matthews Mall to Liquor Barn and then is opens up again.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

+1

-1. Sorry, but I live at the far end of the Highlands and take Bardstown/Baxter all the way in to work downtown, and traffic never backs up like it does on Shelbyville Road, and at odd times. Just my opinion, of course, but somewhat informed by the fact that I also spent a summer living on Bowling Blvd., so I've experiened both areas as a resident.

That's because traffic is kind of counter-intuitive. Big, wide roads with no parallels or exits create worse traffic than smaller, gridded city streets.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Mike Hardin wrote:no parallels

If you're familiar with the neighborhood, there are ways. :D Except for the stretch from Bowling past the St. Matthews Mall, the Watterson and Oxmoor. No escape there, but even with bad traffic you're talking about five minutes, 10 tops.

I can sort of see both sides of this. Yeah, it's one of the worse traffic patches around. But compared with other cities of Louisville's general size or larger, it's pretty tame. I wouldn't boycott business in the area (local or chain) just because of it. But try to time my trip away from the rush periods, sure.
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:07 pm

If they could squeeze an IKEA in that area it would just be peachy! A smart person could set up a coffee shop on that little island of real estate there between the mall and Chick-fil-a right in the center of Shelbyville Rd!