Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Question for foodie parents

no avatar
User

Dan L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

Question for foodie parents

by Dan L. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:52 pm

My wife and I have long been deficient on hobbies and interests. We really love eating out, exercising, and enjoying great wine & beer. Aside from those things we watch a lot (too much) television. The problem is now that we have an addition to the family on the way and given that my wife feels sick after every meal and also prefers to eat mostly bland food, we have found ourselves with mainly lessened exercise and TV to occupy our time. DW is worried that once exercise is no longer an option that she will go stir crazy. Anyone with similar experience that can offer advice or ideas?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:26 pm

Dan,

Congratulations!

Good news: DW should check with her doctor, but I know lots of women who exercised up to their 8th/9th months. It's all about doing the right things: jogging is out, but walking is great, etc.

Also, I'm guessing you are relatively newly pregnant. In most cases the "feeling sick" part will pass by the 3/4th month and bland foods will no longer be required/desired. (Wine of course is still out :cry: ) We are both cooks, and we had fun trying to discover new dishes ( that were more nutritional sound) during my pregnancy. And then celebrated Aiden's birth with Point Reyes blue cheese and champagne at the hospital- I kid you not! :)
no avatar
User

Dan L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

Thanks

by Dan L. » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:15 pm

Deb,

Thanks for the response. The Point Reyes and Champagne sounds wonderful. I'll be sure to pass that one on.
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:45 pm

Dan,

Although there are some exercises you'll need to curtail during pregnancy - downhill skiiing is a tad risky - a healthy woman without other complications should be able to remain active.

I had almost no morning sickness with my first two pregnancies and dreadful, nine-month-long morning sickness wiht my last. I found that sucking on peppermints or candied ginger helped quite a bit, plus both tasted good.

As for activities, I enjoyed lots of long walks, sitting in a warm (not too hot so you won't cook hte baby) bathtub with some nice music, and yoga.

A good foot massage is also very welcomed, particularly in late pregnancy when her feet are aching and she's tired all the time.

- Liz