Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Geocaching

no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

Geocaching

by Robin F. » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:07 pm

Hi Everyone,

I usually lurk around the foodie forum, but I need some help. I produce State of Affairs, the call-in show on WFPL. We are doing a show on Geocaching on Friday, November 2nd and I would like to have 1 or 2 geocaching hobbyists join the show. Could that be you? I've posted on the geocky.org site, but no luck.

If you're interested, or know someone who might be, please send me a note.

Thanks!
Robin
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

A contact

by Deb Hall » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:17 pm

Robin,

I have a friend who has done that, and knows lots of other people who do. I'll shoot you his e-mail via PM.

Deb
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:46 am

ok, I give. what in the hell is geocaching?
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:53 am

Geocaching as defined by Wikipedia:

Geocaching is an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets of little value. Today, well over 440,000 geocaches are registered on various websites devoted to the sport. Geocaches are currently placed in 222 countries around the world and on all seven continents, including Antarctica.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:40 am

There was a segment about it in the last couple of weeks, I think on Morning Edition. Pretty interesting. I bet you could find it in their archives if you want to learn more.
no avatar
User

Dan L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

geocaching

by Dan L. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:59 pm

Robin, I have competitively geocached once so I do not think that I would satisfy what you are looking for. I can however tell you that a local company which sells GPS equipment organized the competition that I participated in. The company's name is MapSync http://www.mapsync.com. Their HQ is in Lexington but they do have a small Louisville presence. If nothing else they may be able to point you toward other contacts. UofL Geosciences may also be a good contact.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Robin F. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:34 pm

Thanks Dan! I'm hoping we'll all learn more on the State of Affairs show on the 2nd if I can get the darn thing booked!

I do think I have one guy from UofL and then a national guy by phone (founder of Groundspeak). Who knew this one would be so tough.
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

by Lori R. » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:17 am

Robin,
I just send you a PM with the contact info for someone interested in participating on your show if you still need people.

THanks,
Lori
User

Richard Rush

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 am

by Richard Rush » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:07 pm

I am not super active on here, but I am an avid geocacher. I am not as avid as some others I know, but my girlfriend thinks I am too avid. Let me know if you still need someone.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thank you!

by Robin F. » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:05 am

Thank you all for your help with this show! I've got it all booked - but here's a new one:

Does anyone know any "professional" poker players? We're going to do a show on poker before the end of the year. 8)