Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Leaked Gannett document outlines CJ paywall

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:the same thing happened with the Internet.

A significant exception, by the way, was Barry Bingham Jr., who accurately foresaw the Internet and used to speak in detail of "the days when you'll get your daily news broadcast to a box on your kitchen table, and you'll be able to edit your own newspaper to select the news you want."

Sadly, his executives laughed at him behind his back, his family sold the papers, and very little was done with his dream until it was too late.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Re: Leaked Gannett document outlines CJ paywall

by Adam Robinson » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:the same thing happened with the Internet.

A significant exception, by the way, was Barry Bingham Jr., who accurately foresaw the Internet and used to speak in detail of "the days when you'll get your daily news broadcast to a box on your kitchen table, and you'll be able to edit your own newspaper to select the news you want."

Sadly, his executives laughed at him behind his back, his family sold the papers, and very little was done with his dream until it was too late.

That's very sad. I remember, I believe, the Courier Journal once not being a joke. I wouldn't take it for free now. And no, not because of any political leaning stuff -- I don't care about that -- but just because I consider it wasteful to encourage them to waste more paper.
Previous