Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Firewood

no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

Firewood

by Eliza W » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:16 pm

I've never lived in a house with a real, wood-burning fireplace before and now I have three!!!

Does anyone know one of those guys who brings around good-quality hardwood. I'd love to have a fire now that it's finally getting cold.

- Liz
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Firewood

by Steve Shade » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:53 pm

Eliza W wrote:I've never lived in a house with a real, wood-burning fireplace before and now I have three!!!

Does anyone know one of those guys who brings around good-quality hardwood. I'd love to have a fire now that it's finally getting cold.

- Liz

Before you worry about firewood, you need to have your chimney checked. Of course, the neighborhood you live in is very nice,but that doesn't mean the previous owners used, or had the chimney checked. A defective chimney can easily cause a fire. Look in phone book or on line for chimney sweeps in this area.

As far as firewood is concerned, you want wood that has been cut some time ago and is dried and is hardwood. Usually you can tell older (preferably about a year old) wood by looking at the ends. Should be gray and not nice and pretty fresh cut.