Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Shannon W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

Why do people stop at flashing yellow lights?

by Shannon W » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:10 pm

At an intersection. One way is flashing yellow, the other flashes red. It's been like this for a week. (So it's not a storm/power/emergency situation)

I've never seen SO many people come to a dead stop at a flashing yellow, which I thought was a caution. This confuses the whole intersection, as some people stop and some don't.
"Mark that frame an eight...and you're entering a world of pain."
no avatar
User

David B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:38 am

by David B » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:37 pm

I see two problems.
First, people generally don't know how to drive well. This includes failing to pay attention, a lack of knowledge of basic physics, some sort of deep-rooted physiological urge to randomly apply the brakes without either an apparent cause or noticeably slowing down and absolutely no knowledge of basic traffic laws.

Take a four-way stop sign for example-- the proper procedure is easy to remember, there is a handy mnemonic to make sure everything works- right -of-way. That is, the driver on your right has priority over you. People don't get this basic idea, and this is encountered nearly everyday. A traffic light that is flashing a particular color after a storm or other such event is relatively uncommon.

Perhaps, even if people were to grasp such a simple traffic concept (they won't), they can't rely on others to follow the proper procedure, and are willing to spend a few more minutes at a relatively unique traffic event to make sure someone isn't blowing through the intersection at full speed into them and their passengers.

As it seems common to have accidents around these intersections, and despite my agreement and frustration over people not following the traffic laws, perhaps the extra moment to make sure the coast is clear is justified.

With your situation, while it has been flashing a week, that does not mean that every driver that comes to it knows that.
I really don't know what to tell you, I always try to lead by example, but there still will be people who can't follow the law. Perhaps we can establish a non-profit that puts educational ads in the leo and the paper and make tv commercials to educate people as to what to do when they come upon a flashing yellow.
Last edited by David B on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:49 pm

Two things:

If it is an intersection where the light is not functioning call MetroCall @ 311 and report it. If they don't know about it then they can't fix it.

If it is a traffic signal that would normally do the red/yellow/green cycle, flashing yellow is to be treated as a red and a stop is warranted.

People can't remember to use a turn signal in this town let alone remember rules of the road.
no avatar
User

David B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David B » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:04 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Two things:

If it is an intersection where the light is not functioning call MetroCall @ 311 and report it. If they don't know about it then they can't fix it.

If it is a traffic signal that would normally do the red/yellow/green cycle, flashing yellow is to be treated as a red and a stop is warranted.

People can't remember to use a turn signal in this town let alone remember rules of the road.

I don't think that is true, look to KRS 189.338(5)(b):
(5) Whenever an illuminated flashing red or yellow light is used in a traffic signal or
with a traffic sign it shall require obedience by vehicular traffic as follows:
(a) Flashing red (stop signal) - When a red lens is illuminated with rapid
intermittent flashes, operators of vehicles shall stop at a clearly marked stop
line but, if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the
intersection or, if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway
where the operator has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting
roadway before entering it, and the right to proceed shall be subject to the
rules applicable after making a stop at a stop sign.
(b) Flashing yellow (caution signal) - When a yellow lens is illuminated with
rapid intermittent flashes, operators of vehicles may proceed through the
intersection or past such signal only with caution.
no avatar
User

Pam G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:19 pm

Downtown days/Northeast nights

by Pam G » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:53 am

Why do people stop at flashing yellow lights?

Well, if I see a flashing light, red or yellow, I usually stop. But is because I am colorblind. I have a hard time distinguishing between the yellow and red. If someone is not with me to ask what color, I stop.

Yesterday, the traffic lights were completely out at Brownsboro and Herr Lane. Everyone was actually handling it as a four way stop and correctly going clockwise. It was my turn to proceed through the intersection when this lady comes barreling through, not slowing down or paying any attention to the situation. Fortunately I saw her and was able to stop.
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

by TanyaD » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:14 am

The same thing happened to me the other week! And the guy yapping on his cell phone who didn't bother to stop and I guess was too busy to see that the light was out actually had the nerve to glare at me like I was the one at fault! Some people!
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:46 am

Couple questions....
I thought the first person to enter a 4 way stop and come to a complete stop had the right of way and only when 2 cars enter the 4 way stop at the same time does the right of way yield to the car on the right.

How do you exercise caution at a flashing yellow light if not by at least slowing down? I guess I could turn off my radio and lock my doors but I don't think that's would help a great deal.

:wink:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:51 am

David W. Bufford wrote:
Ed Vermillion wrote:Two things:

I don't think that is true, look to KRS 189.338(5)(b):
(5) Whenever an illuminated flashing red or yellow light is used in a traffic signal or
with a traffic sign it shall require obedience by vehicular traffic as follows:
(a) Flashing red (stop signal) - When a red lens is illuminated with rapid
intermittent flashes, operators of vehicles shall stop at a clearly marked stop
line but, if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the
intersection or, if none, then at the point nearest the intersecting roadway
where the operator has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting
roadway before entering it, and the right to proceed shall be subject to the
rules applicable after making a stop at a stop sign.
(b) Flashing yellow (caution signal) - When a yellow lens is illuminated with
rapid intermittent flashes, operators of vehicles may proceed through the
intersection or past such signal only with caution.

It's a good thing I keep a full set of KRS handy in glovebox. :)
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:20 am

Many times at odds with reality, KRS is what keeps firefighters, paramedics, hospitals, rehab facilities, body shops, funeral homes and lawyers in business. I love job security but stopping is still your best bet. You do get the people who blast on through and the KRS booklet is only good for covering your eyes before impact. :)
no avatar
User

David B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David B » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:36 am

Ed Vermillion wrote:Many times at odds with reality, KRS is what keeps firefighters, paramedics, hospitals, rehab facilities, body shops, funeral homes and lawyers in business. I love job security but stopping is still your best bet. You do get the people who blast on through and the KRS booklet is only good for covering your eyes before impact. :)

I agree for the most part, if not a full stop, slowing down and proceeding with caution is always smart. As I said above, just because you know the rules doesn't mean that others do. I do wish more people would have a better understanding of traffic laws though; the flashing yellows don't bother me as much as the people that can't negotiate a four way stop to save their life.....
no avatar
User

David B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David B » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:37 am

Ron Johnson wrote:It's a good thing I keep a full set of KRS handy in glovebox. :)

you mean there are people that don't??

:lol:
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:44 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:

Police officers included.
...irritates me more than anything.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:07 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:Police officers included.

No kidding! What ever happened to the concept of setting a good example?

Which reminds me of a digression: Am I the only dirty-minded person in town who's bemused by the back of the Metro Police cars bearing a Web address that could be interpreted as denoting a lack of virility?

http://lmpdky.org
no avatar
User

David B

{ RANK }

Foodie

by David B » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:02 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ethan Ray wrote:Police officers included.

No kidding! What ever happened to the concept of setting a good example?

Which reminds me of a digression: Am I the only dirty-minded person in town who's bemused by the back of the Metro Police cars bearing a Web address that could be interpreted as denoting a lack of virility?

http://lmpdky.org

That never occurred to me....
I will never look at a police car the same

:|
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:54 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:Many times at odds with reality, KRS is what keeps firefighters, paramedics, hospitals, rehab facilities, body shops, funeral homes and lawyers in business. I love job security but stopping is still your best bet. You do get the people who blast on through and the KRS booklet is only good for covering your eyes before impact. :)

I wish it was a booklet Ed. Sadly, it has turned in a multi-volume set that can take over an entire bookshelf. And now, thanks to the new annual meeting of our legislation-happy legislature we get a whole flurry of new laws added every year instead of every other year.

How many freakin' laws do we need to make?
Next