Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Christmas Gift Suggestions, please

by Gayle DeM » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:42 pm

You have been so helpful with your suggestions about my insurance dilemma. I have begun interviewing agents. Now, with Ron's recent suggestion, I will also check out several new companies.

My new problem is that I have a handicapped individual that I take grocery shopping every other week. About this time of year, she asks me to select a Christmas gift for a couple that is near and dear to her. She always wishes to give a food item. Her budget is $5-$10. Last year we chose wild rice; the year, before tea. I have ruled out cheese since she prefers to finish her Christmas shopping before November. Once again, I need your input. Your suggestions would be most welcome
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

food gift idea

by Sonja W » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:45 pm

How about some jams/jellies/preserves/condiments from Miss Charlotte's of Louisville?

I can't remember the exact offerings (there's quite a range), but they include some truly delicious fruit-and-herb-combination preserves. About $5 a jar.

I buy them at the Bardstown Road farmers market and have given them as gifts to out-of-state friends - they were very well received.

Here is Miss Charlotte's web site:

http://www.misscskitchen.com/
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:53 pm

Great idea! :D Thank you Sonja. We'll go check out her store tomorrow.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:44 am

You might try some of the locally made honeys.
(Well now that didn't sound quite right...)
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:11 pm

How about restaurant.com gift certificates? $10 for a $25 certificate or $3 for a $10 certificate.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:39 pm

Gayle,

Some suggestions:

Broadbent Country ham- incredible tasting , Ky Proud, keeps 3- 6 months unrefrigerated

King's Cupboard Sauces- Multiple Fancy Food award winner- really exceptional sauces, including a Spice Walnut Currant Caramel sauce that according to one of my team "tastes like Xmas would if it had a taste"- you can get them at either Wild Oats or Whole Foods- don't remember which
http://www.kingscupboard.com

Vosges Chocolate Barcelona Bar- This gourmet chocolate bar has sea salt and dark milk chocolate. Bran & my all-time favorite. They carry Vosges bars at Liquor barn amongst others.

Deb