Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

Outdoor Furniture Cushion Re-covering

by Brad Keeton » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:58 pm

We need to have some our outdoor furniture cushions recovered using Sunbrella. The fabric has ripped on many of them, but the cushions themselves are fine. I've priced replacement cushions (upwards of $100 for each seat/back combo), and would prefer just to have the existing cushions recovered, hopefully for much less.

Any ideas around town?
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Re: Outdoor Furniture Cushion Re-covering

by Carol C » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:39 pm

I really need cushions recovered so thanks for this thread!! Brad, where are you looking at Sunbrella fabric? AM, thanks so much for the name of someone who will recover--will certainly give him a call.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:40 am

Thanks, AM. I'll check with him.

Carol - I wasn't sure if I needed to buy the fabric myself or whether whoever does the recovering would have it. I'm a bit of a newbie at this.
-Alton Brown
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:38 am

Brad,

I was going to recommend the same upholsterer as AnneMarie.

Regarding fabric: unfortunately now that Baer is closed, your choices are more limited. You can get them from Joanne Fabrics or Boone Fabrics- I'd start with Boone. You can also order fabric by the yard on-line. Also, ask the upholsterer the price for his Sunbrella fabrics ( they will have them to order) before shopping around- they'll have lots of choices and he may not be that expensive. He'll also calculate exactly how much needs to be ordered so you'll likely need less fabric than if you bring your own.
Deb
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:26 am

After pricing things out, I'm not sure I can come out much ahead by buying the fabric and having the cushions re-covered. I checked with JoAnne Fabric, and I can't remember the exact amount, but it would be close to $70/chair (seat back and bottom) just for the fabric (more for chaise lounge, less for ottomans). I don't know how much the upholsterer would charge, but I'm guessing enough to make the total cost close to $100/chair. This is approximately the same amount as the company I checked with that makes replacement cushions to fit our set.

Even with a coupon, I'm guessing I'm only going to save $10-$15/chair by buying the fabric and having the cushions recovered, but it's a lot more of a hassle too.

The bottom line is that Sunbrella and similar fabrics are incredibly expensive.
-Alton Brown