Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Everybody OK?

User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Everybody OK?

by Suzi Bernert » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:42 pm

Was out in the car when the tornado sirens went off and saw a nasty black cloud to the west. We were near one of EMS substations, so stopped there when they said the "hooks" were over 7th Street. Got home to find some of our siding peeled off. Guess hubby's day off tomorrow got busy. Looks like more storms coming in. Robert, you working tonight? How's it looking?
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:35 pm

So far so good on Frankfort in Crescent Hill, but as we were coming in, we saw that looked like part of the canopy over the gas station on Brownsboro near Zorn/Hillcrest pulled back like a sardine can, and the traffic light there was out. TV also reported a tree down across the street, smashing a car (no injuries) on Lexington at Crabbs Lane, near Sacred Heart.

Looks like our neighbors just north are taking a pounding right now, and more coming in from the West. :(
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:32 am

My aunt and uncle live on Hillcrest. I tried calling all night last night, but their phone lines must be down. That was pretty scary stuff.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:04 am

I live one block off Hillcrest and we still have power. The wife & I walked down Hillcrest last night around 8:30. A huge tree fell across Hillcrest half-way between Frankfort & Brownsboro taking out powerlines and a tranformer on its way down. I spoke with the fire crew on-site and they reported no one hurt, some mangled Halloween displays.

The only lights on Hillcrest came from one of the more elaborate displays that must have a back-up generator.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:11 pm

Here in Old Lou, we had maybe 15 minutes of dark clouds which resulted in 6 hours of weathercasters screaming all over the TV. sheesh
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:37 pm

I know. How freakin' ridiculous.

I guess people were calling in griping to Wave 3 about their shows, because Dawn Gee said something to the effect of "quit calling in about your shows, we're saving lives here, people."
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:41 am

National Weather confirmed an F-0 tornado touchdown at the Dirty Kroger on lower Brownsboro Road which snapped off a large bank of transformers that spilled their 100 gallon mineral oil insulating fluid right into the sewer. That particular cell also smacked Hillcrest Ave. where the engine company Captain reported Halloween decoration carnage. 800 block of East Broadway also was hit by a wind event that took the roof off one building and blew all the windows out of another. What a fun night to be at work.
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

by jpdurbin » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:02 pm

I watched the high wind do a 180d turn about the same time…

BTW, my courtyard is tore up from the wind…

I live two blocks from Dup Services on E. BWay...

I had this bad boy roll over me: http://jpdurbin.net/pictures/Tornado/tornadoL.JPG on April 22, 2005 in downtown Louisville. No weather caster caught it…

Glad Dawne set them straight...
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Cool pic! I was working that day also, J.P. and that event got lost in all the excitement across the river and the mass amount of damage we had in both the west and east ends. Seems to me you are living in a mini tornado alley for Louisville! Keep your head down.