Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

Repurposed food-grade barrels for rain barrels

by Jackie R. » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:02 pm

So, the adults in our family draw names for $75 presents now. I drew my step-dad, and he would like a rain collection barrel. I checked with Lowes and Home Depot to discover that they're a seasonal item, and run from $100 and up. Ebay has a company that repurposes food-grade barrels that have shipped things like pickles and peppers from overseas, and they admit they may come with a scratch or two (definitlely couldn't care lss about that). They run $50 plus $20 in shipping, so that brings me in close to the $75 figure, after I include the sack of chocolate coal and tube of pistacios - AND it would ship straight to his door. Anyway, is anyone familiar with this or have any advice?
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

Re: Repurposed food-grade barrels for rain barrels

by Jackie R. » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:35 pm

Thank you Jay, for the sound advice via PM. MSD has exactly what I'm looking for.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:12 am

We've had a n MSD one for a few years.. Lowes has an adapter which is corrugated plastic to go from the gutter downspout to the barrel. I took a spare hank of landscape fabric and I'm using it to strain the water going into the barrel so you don't plug up the faucet at the bottom
no avatar
User

Harold B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 am

by Harold B » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:28 am

We purchased ours from the Louisville Nature Center across from the Zoo.
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:43 pm

Harold B wrote:We purchased ours from the Louisville Nature Center across from the Zoo.

That's what I bought today! There's a link on MSD's website that provides the phone number for the Nature Center, and it only cost $74. I was able to pre-pay over the phone and my step-dad can pick it up whenever he wants. Funny thing is, he must have known this and figured I did, too. I would have felt pretty stupid if I'd gone through a major home repair store and discovered this after the fact. Although the ones listed for $150 and up on the Home Depot website came in lots of shapes and colors and some were terra cotta topped with pretty planters, I have faith my SD will figure out a way to beautify his - and it's a repurposed good brought to us from our City's nature Center. Totally fitting for him.