Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Your input please

no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Your input please

by Gayle DeM » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:42 pm

I've had it! Someone rear-ended me on Sunday. I have State Farm Insurance policies for both automobile and homeowner's. The covered is and premiums are great, but, unfortunately, the service is near to non-existent. :cry: Does any out there have deal with an insurance company that besides excellent coverage and completive rates gives excellent service?
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:30 pm

huh? Customer service? WTF is that?

Avoid Allstate like the plague, that's all I can say.

Some crazy old lady (their client) ran a stop light earlier this year, smashing into the car my hubby was in at like 40 mph. He was pretty badly injured, and we've had a hell of a time trying to get them to step up to the plate and help us with some of these bills. I can't imagine they'd be any easier to deal with if you were the hit-ee rather than the hitter.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:13 pm

Shop for a better agent,Gayle. I've had State Farm for house & car for over 20 years. My original agent was a saint but then retired. I was left with the demon from hell. So I pulled the package and found a better State Farm agent who understands service.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Your input please

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:29 pm

Gayle DeM wrote:I have State Farm Insurance policies for both automobile and homeowner's.

Gayle, building on what Ed said, the issue here may be the agent rather than the insurance company. State Farm generally gets pretty good ratings, nationally. Allstate does not.

We've been lucky to have two good State Farm agents over the years; former alderman and state Rep. Jerry Kleier for many years; John Abernathy since we got back from NY. The agent can make a real difference, and while we've been lucky enough to have very little need of him, Abernathy has been there when we needed him. Located on Hurstbourne right behind Amerigo.
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:32 pm

Thank you for your input, Ed. I, too, have had State Farm for near 20 years. Like you, my first agent was an angel. Unfortunately, she developed cancer and died. My second agent, although not quite the demon from hell, exists only to write up new accounts. It takes her over twenty-four hours to return a phone call and then only if I make the second and third call attempting to reach her. So how does one go about shopping for a new agent?
no avatar
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:42 pm

Yes, it's your agent. We also have had SF forever and we couldn't be happier. I know our agent would be there for us ANY time we needed him.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:39 pm

Gayle, Your personal choices would dictate the search. Do you feel more comforable talking with a woman or a man? Does the office need to be very close by where you live? Prefer someone just starting out who has less staff and is eager for you business? Try http://www.statefarm.com and look on the left hand side of the screen where it will say "Find Agents". Have a look and then call a few. Be sure and tell them up front what the issue is. If you get a bad vibe listen to it and call another. Good luck!
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:25 pm

I agree- find a new agent. My family has used our SF agent for years and you couldn't ask for better service.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:11 am

I use Kyle Wolfe and Associates for both home and auto. While I've never had to make a claim -and that may be the true test of fire - I do have special needs regarding my car insurance because of my work. It requires a bit of extra attention and service from the insurance office. The entire office has been fantastic. They have always gone the extra mile to help me with my needs. (Nationwide)
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Madi D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

Highlands

renters insurance

by Madi D » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:36 am

Sorry to change the subject, but this thread reminded me of my somewhat-similar dillema...

Ive been renting apartments for the last couple of years, but i am about to transition into a rental house. I think its probably smart to get some renters insurance and ive been advised to do so, but i dont really know where to begin.

Im assuming that traditional insurance agencies (state farm, allstate) offer renters insurance? what can i expect to pay/ what type of policy should i get to best protect myself and my belongings?

any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:41 am

Definitely start with your car insurance agent. I have State Farm for my auto insurance and our renters insurance - you get a multi-line discount that way. So I would start with your agent!

I don't think ours is much more than $10 a month.....
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:21 pm

I work for an insurance agency in Old Louisville. It's my opinion that sometimes we are too good to our insureds. In other words, we spoil them rotten. If interested, I would be happy to get you some quotes. PM me for more info if interested.
no avatar
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

Re: renters insurance

by Jessica Devine » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:26 pm

Madi D wrote:Sorry to change the subject, but this thread reminded me of my somewhat-similar dillema...

Ive been renting apartments for the last couple of years, but i am about to transition into a rental house. I think its probably smart to get some renters insurance and ive been advised to do so, but i dont really know where to begin.

Im assuming that traditional insurance agencies (state farm, allstate) offer renters insurance? what can i expect to pay/ what type of policy should i get to best protect myself and my belongings?

any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Madi, we begin renters coverage at $20,000 and go up from there. You have to take in to account everything that you own from furniture to jewelry. We don't require a list of those items though, but for your own benefit, it wouldn't be a bad idea to create one. Insurance is based on a lot of factors including credit, zip code, and your insurance history. Generally, a renters policy will run you about $200-$300 a year, but it all depends on the factors that I mentioned. I would be happy to quote renters and auto for you.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:44 am

I have had GEICO since 1983 and have always had great service. Over the years I have compared them to others for cost and they have always come out on the lower side. I have had 4 claims with them over the years 2 my fault and 2 the other persons fault. Never had an issue with service or taking the car to the shop that I want. :D
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Your input please

by Ron Johnson » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:23 am

Gayle DeM wrote:I've had it! Someone rear-ended me on Sunday. I have State Farm Insurance policies for both automobile and homeowner's. The covered is and premiums are great, but, unfortunately, the service is near to non-existent. :cry: Does any out there have deal with an insurance company that besides excellent coverage and completive rates gives excellent service?

Gayle, as an attorney who regularly has to deal with insurance companies, let me just say that I would NEVER have any coverage with State Farm, Allstate, or Kentucky Farm Bureau.

Surprisingly, the so-called discount companies like GEICO and Progressive do a good jopb taking care of their insureds. I use GEICO.
Next