Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

Atlas Orthogonal--Chiropractor

by Charles W. » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:53 am

Following up a bit on the other chiropractor thread. My daughter is going to see a chiropractor who practices Atlas Orthogonal--where all treatment is focused on the top bone in the spinal column. I've asked the DC for one peer-reviewed study that demonstrates the effectiveness of AO versus other forms of therapy (and none at all). He's promised me that he will do so, but so far nothing. The "study" listed on the AO website looks impressive until it becomes clear that all it actually measures is that a majority of patients of DCs who practice AO say that they've been helped, leading to the conclusion that "it would appear" that it works.

The DC showed me a textbook, and it looks really technical, but I skimmed the "studies" and I didn't see much that reflected serious research protocol.

I'm not closed to chiropractors, but given the fact that they want her to come in 2-3 times a week for an extended period of time, I would like to know that there is some evidence that it works. Let me tell you, when I go see my cardiologist, I'm glad to know that there is evidence that their intervention works.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Atlas Orthogonal--Chiropractor

by Steve P » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:57 pm

Charles W. wrote:I'm not closed to chiropractors, but given the fact that they want her to come in 2-3 times a week for an extended period of time, I would like to know that there is some evidence that it works.

<meh>...(A) This guy sounds like a whack-job...and (B) I've been going to chiropractors off and on for years and have always found relief after just a couple of visits. My experience over the years has been that these guys who want you to come in for "treatment programs" are usually just snake oil salesmen.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:08 pm

Even the DC thought the "proof" listed on the AO website was weak:
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:59 pm

Frankly, we wouldn't even be looking at the chiro if we hadn't been to see a lot of conventional docs. I won't go into the long story, but so far she feels like this DC is helping. I just know too much about the placebo effect . . .