Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Gorbachev

no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

Gorbachev

by Sonja W » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:26 am

I had the memorable experience this evening of attending Mikhail Gorbachev's lecture at the Kentucky Center. Attached is a photo, which is not stellar, but the best I could do from my seat.

He began by stating that he is now, unfortunately, 76 years old. The sound system made it difficult to hear him for the first ten minutes, as the volume levels of his voice and the translator's were equally set. There were three video screens set above the stage. I forced myself to avoid looking at them and tried to focus instead on his physical person, but couldn't avoid glancing back and forth throughout. He looked older, grayer, a bit paunchier. But not much different from the pictures we remember.

He recounted his schooling, his rise through the party, and said that his impression of Krushchev, although he'd never met him face-to-face, was of a man who seemed open to new ideas. But he was young and idealistic then. He went through the litany of successive directors, noting that a slew of them were elderly upon reaching office and died quickly. But there had been, in his view, a continuation of progress, and a gradual alleviation of oppression.

He said that the Communist system he inherited had stagnated the talent and ability of its citizens. Ronald Reagan, who he referred to as a "right-wing" person, recognized the value of working together for change. He objected to an unnamed U.S. politician who had designated the 20th century as the "American" century and had gone on to state that the 21st century would be another American century. "What should be the reply to this?" he asked. "The reply of India, of China, of Russia?" He also objected to our viewing of the end of the Cold War as an "American victory."

Gorbachev cited the late pope as one source of the term "New World Order", a term which had stuck with him, and went on to say that the opportunity of establishing a more cooperative world effort since then had failed. He spoke against the idea that one country could sustainably direct world affairs without the recognition and cooperation of other nations. He said that the US decision to invade Iraq, against the consensus of so much of the globe, was a blow to the promise of international cooperation. (Someone booed here). He pointed out that this was not an advocation of one-world government, but a plea for participation of other countries who are affected by U.S. decisions.

Gorbachev said that environmental issues are the most important concern of the world, that an enormous amount of our environment has been despoiled. He cited that only 1/3 of the human population lives in relative comfort; the rest subside on extremely meager wages. Improper sanitation and polluted drinking water cause most otherwise-avoidable deaths worldwide. He quoted Kofi Annan that the next wars will be fought over drinking water.

Overall, his main plea was for international cooperation as the only realistic means of solving global problems, problems that increasingly include the first world and must inevitably be dealt with.

During the Q&A time, a student said that she was writing a paper on Gorbachev, and wanted to know how he would like to be know for. He replied that he is often asked this question. He would like to be remembered for trying to do the right thing, although he is very aware of many mistakes, then went on to list at least six, mostly dealing with the economic disruption of the former Soviet Union and the failure to hold all of its parts together.

Another questioner asked what his position was on Vladimir Putin. He said that he supported Putin, but that his support was not unqualified. Putin, said, had inherited a system in chaos and on the point of disintegration. Putin had, in his opinion, stabilized the worst problems so that they could focus on the rest, which were significant. He didn't address Putin's tightening of his power and restriction of press freedom, and certainly not the controversial backlash (and possible murders) of objecting reporters. Or Chechnya, for that matter.

One thing that struck me about this speech was Gorbachev's rigor at getting his points across. He probably has a surfeit of personal anecdotes about world leaders, but he didn't use them. I, for one, am not used to being spoken to this seriously, at this length, by a political "leader" without a bit of pandering to the crowd. With most, you laugh, and then remember that their marketing staff has advance-profiled your audience and written appropriate punchlines.

I'm aware that this is a food forum, not a soapbox - so I apologize if this is way-too-off-topic (Robin, et al). And I'm just relaying the speech, so please don't spam me.

But, given the variety displayed throughout this forum, it seemed appropriate to offer this to "All About Louisville."
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:08 am

Sonya , I for one, thank you for your review. I really wanted to attend the forum but could not. I appreciate the fact that you not only wanted to hear his message but observe his body language and demeanor during the forum. It will be interesting to see how his nation proceeds under Putin's leadership.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:34 am

Thank you for the post, Sonja. No matter your politics I firmly believe he is right on point about cooperation between all people being the key to world problems. He was a significant leader who managed to keep the world together while his country fell apart: He could have decided to use force to try and stem the inevitable and that would have been his legacy.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:53 am

Sonya, thanks for an interesting and well-written post, and for your effort in taking the time to share the details of your experience. Remember, we're in the "All About Louisville" section, so there's no issue with off-topic here!

The picture didn't post, but if you'd like to E-mail it to me at rgarr@louisvillehotbytes.com , I'll be happy to add it to this thread.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:19 am

I saw him speak when he won the Grawmeyer award some years back - fascinating person. I'm sorry I missed him this time.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks Sonja! It sounds like a great night - your recollection of it makes me sadder that I could not attend. I also have to note that your memory of the evening is incredible! (If I had written that, it would have had so many holes in it.) Thanks again for the review for those of us that didn't attend.