Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.

Smoky Mountain Cabins

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Smoky Mountain Cabins

by Kim H » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:28 pm

Anyone have suggestions for a cabin in the Smokies? Next weekend is our first anniversary, so we'd like something special, but it doesn't have to be elaborate. We'll be bunking around the Pigeon Forge area (there's a BBQ fest at Dollywood! and a county-wide harvest fest!). We're wanting the classic scenic, mountain view, defintely a hot tub, and kitchenette would be nice. Preferably private/secluded, with lots of space between cabins. Also, we don't want something too resort like. I've been doing some searching, and another thing we don't want is a big black top front yard! Any suggestions?

Also, if you have any thoughts on things to see/do while there (off the beaten path), that would be much appreciated as well!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Smoky Mountain Cabins

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:48 am

Kim H wrote:Next weekend is our first anniversary

Kim, I'm afraid I'm not much help on the Smokies, but I've just got to jump in and wish you guys a very happy first ... and many more.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:58 am

Kim, here are a few suggestions on things to do.

1. Horse back riding. There is a stable that is actually located in the park. This is the only one I can recommend. They take you on a trail up in the mountains (not on a loop around an open field) and it is absolutely gorgeous. Now, I know they're only open part of the year, b/c of snow, but it should be early enough. You can ask at the visitor's center for the exact name and location.

2. If you enjoy hiking, the absolute best trail is Chimney Tops. Hands down. It will definitely get your blood pumping though. It can get a little steep sometimes, but I always just take it slow and take breaks when I need them. (You may also be in better shape than me!) I do it everytime I'm there, and it is absolutely worth it. The views from the top are absolutely incredible. There is a big rock at the top and you have to climb the rock also, in order to get the views. Don't get to the top and not climb up on the rock! Breathtaking. I promise, you won't be dissapointed. Be sure too take the camera on this one. (It would be a good place to take a little picnic too - something small you could fit into a backpack.) You're going to want to spend some time at the top, so be sure to start early in the day.

3. If you're into aquariums, the Ripley's aquarium in Gatlinburg is actually very cool. I know it seems touristy and silly, but it is very cool. We struggled with the decision to go and we were so happy we did.

4. Off of one of the lights in downtown Gatlinburg, you can turn and it will take you to a motor-trail. There are signs on the side of the road, but you can also ask at the visitor's center on this one too. It is a one-way loop trail that you drive. Sounds weird, I know. Along the way there are little stop-offs where you park and get out and learn about appalachia and the people and communtities that were present before the mountains were turned into a protected park. It's very interesting and informative. We found this by accident once and were so delighted. If I remember, it will take you about an hour.

I hope some of those things sound like fun to you. I'm so jealous. I love going to the Smokeys and haven't been in a while. We usually cook most of our own meals, but I do recall a brewery having some good beer and bar food on the main strip in Gatlinburg. Have a great time!
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:17 pm

Cobbly Knob I've rented from these guys several times with good luck. Mostly huge, whole family 4500 sf units. I can't speak for there smaller units.

The brew-pub referenced in G-burg proper is Smoky Mountain Brewing. They also have a newer unit in Seiverville as well.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

Re: Smoky Mountain Cabins

by Kim H » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Kim H wrote:Next weekend is our first anniversary

Kim, I'm afraid I'm not much help on the Smokies, but I've just got to jump in and wish you guys a very happy first ... and many more.

Thank you, Robin! Hard to believe that it's already been a year!!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:09 pm

Kim,
I have stayed several times at cabins managed by Hidden Mountain Resorts and have been very satisfied. I don't have a web address, but I do recall they have one.

Happy first!

Todd
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:36 pm

Beth K. wrote:Kim, here are a few suggestions on things to do.

1. Horse back riding.

2. If you enjoy hiking, the absolute best trail is Chimney Tops.

3. If you're into aquariums, the Ripley's aquarium in Gatlinburg is actually very cool. I know it seems touristy and silly, but it is very cool. We struggled with the decision to go and we were so happy we did.

4. Off of one of the lights in downtown Gatlinburg, you can turn and it will take you to a motor-trail.

Hi Beth! Thanks so much for the suggestions! We're seriously considering the horse back riding trail you suggested, and I would love to hike to the top of Chimney Tops. I've heard that is beautiful, but forgot all about it. Hubby's knee has been bothering him, so not sure we'll be up for quite an adventurous hike, but we're going to see how his knee feels next weekend. We love aquariums, and don't find them silly at all, but not sure we're actually going to go into Gatlinburg. This is all kind of last minute 'planning', so my posts were misleading. But I'm printing out your suggestions to take with us, and we'll let you know how it went!

Thanks again!
Kim
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:45 pm

Yes, Hidden Mountain Resorts- I gave my nephew a.gift of his honeymoon there and he and his wife loved it. I couldn't remember the name until I saw it just now.
My brother and his wife are going soon on the nephew's review.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:19 am

Kim,

Try visiting: http://www.vrbo.com/ (Vacation Rentals By Owner). They have THOUSANDS of house/condo/cabin rentals available all over the GLOBE. We rented a log home outside of Marion N.C. last October (during "leaf" season) and loved it. We found the property online (VRBO), contacted the property managers and ended up spending a very relaxing week in the North Carolina mountains. Unfortunately this particular cabin is perhaps an hour or two from where you want to be but I am quite certain you could find similar accomodations on the website. Currently we are waiting to hear back from the owner of a downtown Savannah condo so we can try this VRBO experience all over again. This is a great resource for anyone who travels and doesn't want to stay in the same "cookie cutter" hotels found from coast to coast...
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:58 am

If the timing works out right and you're going south on 65 take a moment to stop by the Artisan Gallery in Berea. It's right off the hiways and you'll see some remarkable things. Not the usual craft fair stuff.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:26 am

carla griffin wrote:If the timing works out right and you're going south on 65 take a moment to stop by the Artisan Gallery in Berea. It's right off the hiways and you'll see some remarkable things. Not the usual craft fair stuff.

Excellent recommendation, Carla - couldn't agree more.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:27 am

Oh, I thought of one more place to go! When you get off the expressway and you are on the long strip that takes you towards Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, etc., there is a Lodge cast iron outlet store. If you enjoy cooking with cast iron, this place is awesome. They have it all here and the prices are really good. They even sell pre-seasoned cast iron for the lazy cook. (That's me!)

(PS - Kim, I didn't mean aquariums were touristy and silly, I meant 'Ripleys' establishments. Hee-hee! Have a great time!)
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Cade's Cove

by Kris Billiter » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:44 am

Cade's Cove is the scenic loop Beth was talking about. It is very beautiful and when we were there last, there was quite a bit of wildlife wandering about. It can get crowded with cars, but it is still worth it! Congrats!!!
Kris
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Cade's Cove

by GaryF » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:17 pm

Kris Billiter wrote:Cade's Cove is the scenic loop Beth was talking about. It is very beautiful and when we were there last, there was quite a bit of wildlife wandering about. It can get crowded with cars, but it is still worth it! Congrats!!!
Kris

I was there this time last year-we had the privilege of waiting for about 15 minutes while a bear and her cub sat in the road and played. It was one of the best nature experiences I've ever had.