Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Louisville Chamber of Commerce - Try It Local

by Steve P » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Chris M wrote:I'm a little disappointed in A.P. for letting his establishment participate. Might have to rethink how often I give his places my business (which is a lot right now).

Dude,

I'm still on my first beer, so I (think) I can reply without violating the "No posting under the influence of alcohol" clause of my contract (we'll let the lawyers work that one out)...ANYWAY, I in no way shape or form intended to or even remotely infer that anyone should penalize ANY establishment because they take/took part in this program. The views I express are my own and should therefore be takin with an EXTREMELY large dose of salt. I encourage you to continue to give A.P. every bit of business you can and leave it to him to determine if this marketing thing is worth it...or not.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:35 pm

Don't worry Steve, I came up with that decision on my own. I have pretty strong beliefs about companies who in my opinion attempt to deceive or in some way take advantage of consumers. I'm not saying anybody from AP Crafter's intentionally tried to deceive people, but that was the end result regardless.

And nobody has done anything to fix it other than say "oops".

Shady. IMO.

I'm not sure my moral stand will hold up to the sirens call of their pretzels and beer cheese, but damn it, a man must have principles!!! 8)
no avatar
User

John Robert Harris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:53 pm

by John Robert Harris » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:56 pm

From what I have heard is that everyone was contacted about the mistake on the date.

It was ONLY on the email, but corrected on the deals main page, the deals payment page and the deals confirmation page prior to fully submitting your payment. Then of course on the voucher it says it as well.

If you have even the slightest of animosity against any business that is featured within a deal like this, then slowly but surely your options will dwindle. Have you seen how many deals per day Groupon or Living Social will run?

Most of my day is spent following up with business that want to do this. My thoughts and feelings are that I need to reach out to the smaller shops and restaurants to keep the local feeling and support.

All figures were disclosed due to the fact that the restaurant needs to know everything in plain sight for even the smallest things...how to staff for possible increase in business, to food orders.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:30 pm

All of you who see this deal as a way of scamming or defrauding the CONSUMER need to change the channel; not everyone is out to get you. Is Crafters getting a raw deal, maybe, but that is their decision. $20 for $40 worth of food and drink is a deal, whether we are talking 2 or 4 people. Spending $40 on food and (alcoholic) drinks is easy with 2 people. If you don't drink, take some friends to dinner, don't scream shady about the $40 amount. That is the strangest argument I've seen towards this guy/deal. One app $7, two entrees at $11 each, a $5 dessert, and two sodas and you are at $40. That is with two people, no alcohol, and not going way overboard on food. I just can't understand the disdain against the coupon company or Crafters for offering this deal. Read the requirements and take them or leave them; don't crucify, especially for something that hasn't affected you.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:59 pm

John Robert Harris wrote:In all honesty, I posted here to gain momentum against the competitors which do take the profits out of state. No matter how these deals work or not, we are geared to help the business more so than our competition. Louisville is a great place and more than ever we should be focused on local goods and services.

But let's be clear, these "deals" are still not profit drivers for the local businesses that participate in them, but rather for GLI. I've talked to a number of business owners who participate in deals through Groupon/Livingsocial/Tryitlocal/etc., and they all say the same thing: they don't make money when the people buy the deals. They might, if they're lucky, recoup their overhead, but not beyond that. I mean, come on - you say the businesses get to keep 60-70% of the proceeds, but if they could make a profit with prices that were 60-70% of their current prices, don't you think they'd do it?

The smartest approach I've heard was one woman who just treated it like free advertising. She covered her overhead and didn't lose money, and she was happy enough with that.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:00 pm

JustinHammond wrote:All of you who see this deal as a way of scamming or defrauding the CONSUMER need to change the channel; not everyone is out to get you. Is Crafters getting a raw deal, maybe, but that is their decision. $20 for $40 worth of food and drink is a deal, whether we are talking 2 or 4 people. Spending $40 on food and (alcoholic) drinks is easy with 2 people. If you don't drink, take some friends to dinner, don't scream shady about the $40 amount. That is the strangest argument I've seen towards this guy/deal. One app $7, two entrees at $11 each, a $5 dessert, and two sodas and you are at $40. That is with two people, no alcohol, and not going way overboard on food. I just can't understand the disdain against the coupon company or Crafters for offering this deal. Read the requirements and take them or leave them; don't crucify, especially for something that hasn't affected you.

+1
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:38 am

JustinHammond wrote:All of you who see this deal as a way of scamming or defrauding the CONSUMER need to change the channel; not everyone is out to get you. Is Crafters getting a raw deal, maybe, but that is their decision. $20 for $40 worth of food and drink is a deal, whether we are talking 2 or 4 people. Spending $40 on food and (alcoholic) drinks is easy with 2 people. If you don't drink, take some friends to dinner, don't scream shady about the $40 amount. That is the strangest argument I've seen towards this guy/deal. One app $7, two entrees at $11 each, a $5 dessert, and two sodas and you are at $40. That is with two people, no alcohol, and not going way overboard on food. I just can't understand the disdain against the coupon company or Crafters for offering this deal. Read the requirements and take them or leave them; don't crucify, especially for something that hasn't affected you.

Ok Justin, please read the thread before you respond. The catalyst to this is that the e-mail blast send out to thousands of people said on it, in big bold letters "COUPON GOOD THROUGH OCTOBER 11, 2012".

The fine print on the web page said "coupon good through October 11, 2011". That's a 12 month difference in expiration.

THAT, combined with other factors gave me an uneasy feeling. Like I said, I'll give them all the benefit of the doubt that it was a typo, and that they notified people who purchased the deal that the e-mail was incorrect (nobody I've spoken to got a correction).

The dollar amount in and of itself was not the concern. It just seemed like that, combined with it not being good on Friday and Saturday, not carrying over, confusion about when it expired etc. all combined to create a lot of ways people would end up not ever using their coupons.

Which as they said is something they count on to make their revenue numbers work.

Pretty plain and simple. Funny how we rail against the evils of big companies attempting to defraud consumers left and right, but throw a local company into the mix and suddenly they would never do something underhanded and we must all be paranoid.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but it is well earned thank you very much.
Previous