Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

John Robert Harris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Louisville Chamber of Commerce - Try It Local

by John Robert Harris » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:07 pm

I would like to introduce you to our Try it Local daily deal program here at the Metro Chamber of Commerce - GLI.

This was created to keep all profits within the community! Eat and Shop LOCAL!!

With our focus set on the success of the Louisville business, we do separate ourselves from the competition, of that like Groupon and Living Social.

• More money - Business keeps 60 to 70% (GLI members) vs. 50% w/competitor
• Local money – Stays here in our community not sent to Chicago or D.C.
• Faster Money - 10 business days
• No contracts
• Our superb demographics – 40yr old female with family vs. 27 male
(This works to the advantage of some business as the potential of more disposable income is there as well as an established family which creates a wider interest in deals)

Some key numbers from our studies:
- 86% will spend more than the deal amount
- 28% become repeat customers
- 33% of all deals sold will go unused but still paid on

All that we ask is of you to design a deal that is at least 40% - 50% off. There are A LOT of $5 of $25 deals floating around which is 20%, however since you get paid on the deal it can not only outperform due to the spark in interest since the deal looks better to the consumer but pay off better since you get paid on the revenue.

- We have had roughly a 3x increase in our subscriber base in the last 3-4 months

- I would like to extend the opportunity to any restaurant or business that is interested in doing one of these. Please feel free to contact me at jharris@uniqueic.com or 812-280-2146
no avatar
User

John Robert Harris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Louisville Chamber of Commerce - Try It Local

by John Robert Harris » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Today's, and it is a great one!

AP Crafters Kitchen and Bar in Westport Village
$20 for $40 worth of food and drinks

http://www.tryitlocal.com/louisville/re ... itchen-bar

http://www.apcrafters.com/
no avatar
User

John Robert Harris

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Robert Harris » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:34 pm

I love Sushi and Teriyaki will be Thursday.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/51/1597015/ ... Louisville
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Hey, John Robert! Try it local? I would sure prefer to see GLI giving its links to LouisvilleHotBytes.com, a local business, rather than sending the eyeballs out to UrbanSpoon, which doesn't put its income into a Louisville bank as far as I know.

AP Crafters
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/ap-cr ... rt-village

I Love Sushi & Teriyaki
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/it%E2 ... sushi-spot
no avatar
User

John Robert Harris

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Robert Harris » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:23 pm

I apologize, I searched for it here but must have misspelled it then google searched it and urbanspoon came up first.

Honestly thank you for pointing that out, as I will make certain to post hotbytes links only.

Is this the correct spot for a post like this? I want to make sure I am following all guidelines.

Thank you!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Mark, this one is kind of up in the air - the main forum would possibly be okay since it's about restaurants, but if you're going to update it every day, it might be best to post it in this forum. However, I'll post an announcement in the restaurants forum pointing to this topic so people will know to look for it.

Don't worry about using HotBytes every time, but since you guys are all about local, I thought I should probably point out the difference between us and places like Urbanspoon and Yelp that are really national publications ...
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:25 am

Well, there is the annemarie, errr... Deals and Off-topic Spiels forum!
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:26 am

John Robert Harris wrote:I would like to introduce you to our Try it Local daily deal program here at the Metro Chamber of Commerce - GLI.

This was created to keep all profits within the community! Eat and Shop LOCAL!!

Some key numbers from our studies:
- 86% will spend more than the deal amount
- 28% become repeat customers
- 33% of all deals sold will go unused but still paid on

- I would like to extend the opportunity to any restaurant or business that is interested in doing one of these. Please feel free to contact me at jharris@uniqueic.com or 812-280-2146

Ohhhhhh-kay. So let me see if I've got this right. Part of your sales pitch to participating businesses is that you are going to sell something, in this case discounted restaurant coupons...to the local populace...and "key numbers from your studies" indicate 33% of the people will never use the product you are selling ? Correct ? I mean you said it in the body of your post...is this correct or not ? I wanna know ?

So basically then...to reduce this to it's lowest common denominator...Assuming the "key numbers from your studies" are correct...You are going to sell 99 discount coupons to local consumers KNOWING that 33% of them will never-evvvvver us the product you are selling them. What a crock of sh**. You're not providing a service for these restaurants...No, what you are doing is recruiting local businesses to help you scam local local consumer....who you are appealing to by putting a "local" spin on things.

You sir have achieved Master Dickweed status in a mere 9 posts on this forum. It's a good thing for you that Robin runs this forum and falls for anything with the word "local" in it...If it were me I would have thrown your ass off the board the second that I read that you were promoting a product that 33% of the buyers never used. I am so pissed off right now that I'm ready to kick my OWN ass.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:37 am

Steve P wrote:I am so pissed off right now that I'm ready to kick my OWN ass.

Steve, you're a good guy, a friend, and I like you, but you need to throttle back the curmudgeon persona. I don't want newcomers to this friendly bar treated like that. Please don't do it.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:40 am

[[ CENSORED ]]
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:45 am

Brian Curl wrote:[[ CENSORED ]]

@$$#*|e personas are not encouraged, either. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:07 pm

I think you should be censoring Steve if anyone, unless you encourage people calling new visitors "dickweeds"

Com-mie move. . .
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Steve, you're a good guy, a friend, and I like you, but you need to throttle back the curmudgeon persona. I don't want newcomers to this friendly bar treated like that. Please don't do it.

This is not about a curmudgeonly persona....It's about someone selling something to local consumers KNOWING full well that 33% of them will never ever use the product that was sold. The block I grew up on, THAT is a scam. I don't give two happy hoots about the (real or perceived) benefits to the local (in this case restaurants)....What I DO care about is someone scamming the general public. You can paint a pig all the pretty colors you want to but once you put that pig back in the barnyard, it's still a pig...Edit or delete as you see fit.

BTW...I love you....man. :wink:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:14 pm

Steve P wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

This is not about a curmudgeonly persona....It's about someone selling something to local consumers KNOWING full well that 33% of them will never ever use the product that was sold. The block I grew up on, THAT is a scam. I don't give two happy hoots about the (real or perceived) benefits to the local (in this case restaurants)....What I DO care about is someone scamming the general public. You can paint a pig all the pretty colors you want to but once you put that pig back in the barnyard, it's still a pig...Edit or delete as you see fit.

BTW...I love you....man. :wink:

Actually, Groupon and every other coupon deal in the world operates on this premise. It's how they make the numbers work. Ugly, but true. John Robert was open about it. <shrug>

Here man, have a beer ...
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Actually, Groupon and every other coupon deal in the world operates on this premise. It's how they make the numbers work. Ugly, but true. John Robert was open about it. <shrug>

Here man, have a beer ...

Being open about something wrong, doesn't make it right. Does it ?

Thanks for the beer...I'll crack 'er open about 5pm.
Next